Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i've been saving for this for ages and Hallelujah the day has almost arrived when i can get my new cpu, mobo and ram upgrade. Right well i'm going to get an x6800 and i think a p5w dh deluxe but i'm not sure what ram to get. My question is am i better to get a specific speed/timings/make of ram for the cpu i'll have? Is there a speed of ram which works better with the x6800? I was looking through an overclocking article in Toms Hardware and it said their that ddr2 pc2-6400 800mhz is the best memory for a e6300 and e6400 but it doesn't say what works best on a x6800. That's the memory i was going to get. Either the G.skill ddr2 pc2-6400 800mhz 4-4-4-12 or the Geil ddr2 pc2-6400 800mhz 4-4-4-12. I was also considering the G.Skill ddr2 pc2-6400 800mhz 3-4-3-8 and the Geil ddr2 pc2-6400 800mhz 3-3-3-8 or even the Corsair Dominator smae speeds with the timings 3-4-3-9. But the memory with the faster timings is so much more expensive and i have to say VERY hard to find here in the UK from ANY online store. But is there one kind which will work best? I'm open to considering ANY memory at all and any advice i get here will deffinitley influence which way i'm going to go. thanks very much everyone and Happy New Year to all also. Max.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The fastest RAM your CPU can support with the fastest timings is going to give you the most performance. DDR2 is not necessarily the best choice, because, as you've probably started to figure out, it's latency is very high, which undoes any "speed" advantage (keeping in mind that DDR2 800 is actually the same speed as DDR 400 -- both are 200MHz). The more expensive DDR2 modules with faster timings can beat their DDR counterparts in performance, but unless you want to pay the extra (or wait until the price goes down), stick with DDR.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But you asked what the fastest RAM would be
No i asked what would be the best combination with the cpu i'm getting. Obviously yeah i want the fastest i can get but what i really mean when i'm asking is doesn't one particular speed work better with this cpu. toms Hardware seems to think one particular speed works best with at least two cpu's which i seen. Maybe that was just specifically for overclocking (which i i will be doing some of) but either way i would still like to get the one that's best for it in anyway really. Are you saying that the fasterit is (more mhz, less cl.....)the better it is regardless of anything else?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
maxibhoy said:
Are you saying that the fasterit is (more mhz, less cl.....)the better it is regardless of anything else?
Pretty much, yes -- with all other things being equal, lower latency and higher clock speeds will equal more performance. It also depends a little on the quality of the module, especially if you're overclocking, but the numbers are the most important. If you're using DDR2 and your CPU and mobo support up to 200MHz, then get the 200MHz RAM with the lowest latency you're willing to pay for. I don't know of any exceptions.

What I was pointing out, though, is that DDR2 with a high latency is slower than DDR.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i understand eric. Cheers for the info. As an exmample then of ddr v's ddr2 the ram i have at present is pretty good stuff it's ocz platinum edition ddr pc3200 with timings of 2-3-2-5 and say i get the g.skill ddr2 ram pc2-6400 800mhz with the 4-4-4-12 timings. Do you think i'd get a gain in performance with this transision or a possible decline? I mean i'm going to have to go with ddr2 anyway considering the cpu i'm getting and also i'm pretty much decided already on the board but i'd like to know if the ram performance is going to be better, worse or no difference. One thing though is i only have a gb now and i'm getting two. Max.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am also curious about G.skill ram, I never heard about it until today, and the prices seem too good to be true. I've found 2gb kits, (1gb x2 184pin sdram ddr400) priced at $169.00(usd). So I'm wondering what is the catch?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually i went with the Geil in the end. but the G.Skill is supposed to be really good memory and as you've already noticed at great prices also. They're very popular amongst overclockers. Don't think there are any catches. Just trying to get a foothold in the market i think. Max.

·
Registered
53 Posts
well I'm getting it from newegg, and I think this time I will try the warranty plan. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.