Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have an emachine with windows me. I was having some trouble with yahoo messenger, so I removed it and thought I would just install it again. When I try to install it, I get an error message that says "You do not have access to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators account." I have no idea what this means. This computer is not networked to any other. I have a simple dial up connection. I don't believe anyone has fooled around with setting it up for different users. If anyone has any idea how to get around this, I would greatly appreciate your assistance. Thank you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got an email response from microsoft. They do not deny that it was there security update that caused this, and a couple of other problems. They say that if you use your start up floppy that you can create, that you can boot into windows with the use of the recovery cds, and it will replace the corrupt files. It sounds like if you do this, you will lose everything that you've installed or stored including pictures and music. They also said to uninstall anti virus software before attempting to reboot with recovery cds. Will come back and post another reply when I get stuff backed up and actually try this fix.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did end up using the recovery cd's that came with this computer. They turned out to be nothing more than the basic operating system backed up with Norton Ghost. While I was terribly disappointed by the amount of stuff I lost, I did learn a valuable lesson. Stay away from Microsofts automatic update. I found a lot of my past problems were related to changes made to my system by automatic update.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.