Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to change the start up cause I have 8 programs running in the background. I get a message warning that I have to be an administrator to do this. It's a home computer and I am the only person that is using it. How do I get it to let me make changes? It is a Gateway running Windows XP home edition. Thanks

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Then apparently your account is not an administrator.

Right-click My Computer and select Manage. Under Local Computer Management > System Tools, Expand the Local Users and Groups node. Click Users.

What do you see?

Double-click your user account from the list. Click the Member of tab. What do you see?

May I provide a warning prior to you disabling all startup items? Be sure you know the purpose of each of them before disabling them. Disabling the wrong items may have very bad consequences.

·
Super Moderator
79,314 Posts
is this a home pc or a business pc? If the latter, you may very well be locked out of the admin account on purpose.

As for what curly says, I'd like to add one thing: http://www.blackviper.com/ has by far and away the most comprehensive list of what those entries in msconfig actually do.

thanks,

v

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Then either you are using a domain computer, or your actual local administrator has blocked you from accessing it.

Sorry, but we cannot help you. Please see your domain administrator and/or IT department.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Reboot the computer in Safe mode. In XP Home, the Administrator account is not accessible in Normal mode.

However, if you want to trim down your startup load with your experience listed by you as "Beginner", I suggest that you download and install HijackThis. Run it and click on the button "Do a system scan and save a logfile". When the scan is completed, a notepad window will open with the logfile.

In the Notepad header bar click "Format" and make sure "Word Wrap" is not checked. Then click "Edit" and "Select All", right-click in the blue area and select "Copy", then Paste it into your next post to this thread.

Then you can get advice from knowledgable people about what is and is not safe to disable at startup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It has been a while since I did a virus scan. I will try to reboot and install Hijackthis and get it in my next post. I will be gone for a few days so I don't have the time right now. Thanks for all of the info you gave me

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
I tayped "control userpasswords 2" and nothing happened
control userpasswords2 -- note there is no space before the 2

And XP Home edition does not have the Local Users and Groups snap-in, so you won't see it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.