Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago, I installed a PCI card in my computer and it has one serial and one parallel port.

When I checked to see if it is installed, the device manager says I have Com 1, Com 3 and Com 4. It seems like I should only have Com 1 (on motherboard) and Com 3 or Com 4.

Does this look right?

I am using Windows XP SP2 and my computer is a dual core pentium 4 with an intel motherboard.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Either the motherboard or the card supports a second COM port, even though the physical port may not be there. In Device Manager open the Properties for each port and check the Location under the General tab to get an idea where its from.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Sometimes these cards have a header on them for connecting a second Com port attached to the computer in one of the expansion card slots or attached through a punch out in the computer case. Including the Manufacture, Model Number would help us determine if this is the case.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am kind of embarrassed to explain why I don't know the model number.

This weekend, I dropped off some items with AMVETS and while there, I always like to browse the electronic section. Sometimes, there are some good items there such as near new ZIP drives etc.

Anyway, I spotted a card with one serial port and one parallel port on it for $1.41. It was in a group of what appears to be new boards donated by someone. Probably a technician because there many of the boards were identical and all were clean.

I picked up this board because a while back, I bought a new RoseWell board online to add ports and it worked fine for a while then quit.

It would support my modem but not a printer that I had on there for several months. The best description of this board is poor quality. Everytime I connected a cable, the backing plate buckled badly.

I knew I was going to buy another board but was going to get a good brand name such as Adaptec which is what I usually do when buying compenents. When I saw this board and this price, I couldn't resist. Figured I could only lose $1.41 and the quality appeared to be much better than the Rosewell board.

It works just fine with some drivers that Windows installed automatically but since there is only one port on it, I could not figure out why Device Manager shows two ports. I did not see another header on the card but maybe there is one.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Many times, there is a chip that supports two ports, but the maker charges extra to put the second connector and driver chip on the board.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.