Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Win XP SP2 on an IDE 80G drive. I want to add a 320G SATA 300G/s drive to my system with the purpose of copying/mirroring my XP boot and programs down the road. How is the best way to get my new SATA drive working as the boot drive and remove my 80G IDE drive from my rig WITHOUT having to reinstall Win XP? I would appreciate any help with this problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
IF...and I say IF...your mobo has a SATA plug, then it will be quite easy using ACRONIS to mirror everything to the new drive. If you don't have a SATA plug on the mobo, then you will need to buy a CARD (example) to install the drive to.

Scorp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have two SATA interfaces on my mobo otherwise i would have purchased a fast IDE upgrade HDD instead. What i need to know is HOW do you go about getting whats on my 80G IDE drive to my 320G drive and making that bootable without f#*%ing everything up.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I think if you go to the drive mfr's website, you should see a utility for moving everything across. For instance, Seagate's DISK WIZARD will do it easily.

Scorp.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
First off, you'll want to install the SATA drivers on your existing installation while it's still running off the IDE drive. Otherwise, the system won't boot when you move it to the SATA drive unless you happen to have a newer Intel chipset on that MB.

Then, I'd follow the previous suggestion to pick up the disk manufacturer's free utility and copy the drive contents to the new disk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.