Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Gateway Pent II and it has 3 slots for ram. I have 2 slots with 32 meg in each and 1 slot with 64 meg in it.

I want to replace one of my 32 meg sticks with a 128 meg one but I am not sure how to ID the 32 meg one to pull.

Thanks for your help.

skyman

·
Registered
70 Posts
If its not marked on the memory stick how many meg it has, then just pull one out and check your memory. Do it by trial and error.
If you pull one and you have 96meg left then you pulled out the right on.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Hi skyman, you've been hiding again..... ;)

Another thing you may check is when the computer is starting up, hit the ESC key so you can see behind the windows splash screen....sometimes it posts what module has what memory.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
also check your motherboard manual (that dusty book thrown in the box with all the other stuff) or go to the mfg site

check what configurations are possible and in what order they need to go (usually the largest is in slot 1), there's usually a chart that shows it
-hopefully it will take a 128 mb stick, otherwise you may have to go to 3 x 64 ot whatever to maximize your ram somewhere between 128 and 256, anything more likely won't make a difference

otherwise, yes it should be marked on the stick itself, if not do the trial and error add remove method

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your help.

I deduced that the 32 was smaller in width than the 64 and that the 64 was in slot 1. I pulled the 32 out of slot 2 and put the 64 in slot 2. I then put my new 128 in slot 1. Seems to be working ok.

Yes AcaCandy, I have been hiding. Been doing some consulting work and have not had that much time to get on. Nice hearing from you again.

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

skyman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.