Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just tried to add 2- 256mb/16 ecc rambus to my dell 8100
computer. The bios detects the memory but Norton autoprotect had problems with cache and stopped. I entered in safe mode and disabled autoprotect but then on reboot windows halted on a "windows protection error". I have tried to reboot in normal mode a few times and once I received "VMCPD(01) + 0000061C error: 0D: 0028: C0058234". By the way I am running windows ME. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Are you sure you have the right memory. Spec's I find call out non ecc memory. Also aparrently some is non removal.
With the non removalable 128 meg you would be over the maximum of 512 meg for the computer.
Remove the new memory, does it start up

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
With Rambus memory you have to really match the new RAM to the old. You can't mix and match different speeds, latencys, ECC with Non-ECC. It appears you have the wrong RAM. Dell's website offers the RAM specs and you can also buy RAM right from DELL, although more expensive its guaranteed to work. Also, Windows 9X/ME has issues with more then 512MB of RAM, there is a work-around that sometimes works: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253912

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brianf, the specs on my computer claims I can go to 2gb,ie. 4-512mb rambus pc800 ecc.

triple6, I have removed the old memory 2-128mb/8 ecc and replaced them with my new 2-256mb/16 ecc rambus. The 512 mb seems to work fine. I did not know what bit length I had in the computer hence my purchase of 16 bit rambus. Is this what is causing the problem or is it ME which does not like more than 512mb?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info stilllearnin' but there is still a question in my mind. What is the difference between 256mb/8 ecc rambus and
256mb/16 ecc rambus? Also if ME cannot use more than 512mb
is there any point in adding more?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
"Also if ME cannot use more than 512mb is there any point in adding more?"

Absolutely not. A waste of money and Windows will quit working. If you upgrade to Win 2000Pro or WinXP then 512MB is a must for decent performance.

"What is the difference between 256mb/8 ecc rambus and
256mb/16 ecc rambus?"

256/8 is single-sided and 256/16 is double-sided (the little rectangular chips that are on one or both sides of memory stick).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also running ME. I had 64mg of memory and just added 128 mg and now my cd burner won't burn. Is the memory running to fast for the rom drive? How do fix it! Please help! I've never gone to a message board and I don't even know if I'm doing this right> Please help me. My e-mail is [email protected].
Thank you!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.