Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Windows XP desktop and want to add a second hard drive. The hard drive that is on my computer is an EIDE 80gb. I plan to install a Maxtor DiamondMax 60GB 7200rpm EIDE using the slave connector on the primary leg of the IDE controller cable. The secondary IDE leg has a CD-RW and a DVD drive. I know how to jumper and physically install the new drive.

I need detailed instructions on what to do once I have the hard drive physically installed. I understand that I will boot up and then run "Disk Management" to set up the new hard drive. I have a copy of "Partition Magic 7.0". Should I use that instaed of "Disk Management"?

The new drive will be used for data only. I want to set up the new drive as at least four drives. I assume they will be D, E, F and G. I want to use the new D drive for general data (no more than 4GB), the new E drive for photos (probably 20GB), the new F drive for creating CD images (about 2GB) and the new G drive for scratch, like virtual memory for Photoshop.

Where can I find instructions on how to do this as well as information as to what kind of partitions will best suit my needs? I understand that I will boot up and then run "Disk Management" to set up the new hard drive. I have a copy of "Partition Magic 7.0". Should I use that instead of "Disk Management"?

I have a copy of "Windows XP Inside and OUT" by Bott & Siechert and I'm sure all the pertinent information is there. I need more of a "cookbook" approach.

Jim:confused:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.