Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old Digital PC 5000. I have successfully cabled in a 20G hard drive, now it is wanting to boot off the new hard drive. I think I need to set jumpers for a master/slave configuration. Can anyone tell me where to find (the info) or what this setting needs to be.? Or if I'm completelly off base ??

Thanks for your attention and support

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I figured out the Jumper settings are on the hard drives themselves. The original HD (which I want to be the master) has been scratched by the case and I can't see it clearly but I did change them both and now I'm booting into the OS (w95). Now I need to be able to see the new hard drive. What do I do?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No the OS (W95) is on the old one. And I am now booting off it (which is cool I think). Just need to get the new one to play now!!

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Just reread your post, I get it now. You need to go into the BIOS setup. That's usually done by hitting the delete key or F1 at the beginning of the boot process. You should see in the lower left corner the instruction, "Press del key or F1 or F5" whatever, at that time do it.

Once in you'll see varying setup screens depending on the make and model of your PC. At this point you should be able to see probably 4 listings where one is the original drive and your CD drive. You'll want to use your arrow down key to go to the blank line and have it say automatic from the choices given on that BIOS setup.

There should be an explanation of how to navigate right there. Once it, the drive, is recognized you can save settings and exit.

That's a very generic explanation but it's hard at this end not knowing the way the setup configuration is that you'll be looking at. They're all pretty similar though.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info!! In "main tab" of the PhonixBIOS
IDE controller 0 Master(2000mb)
IDE controller 0 Slave (20020mb)

This all seems to be in order...but when I let it boot on into the OS I don't 'see' the drive in 'Explore'. I must be missing something here??

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If it is there in the BIOS you need to format it before Windows can use the drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.