Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I open the add/remove programs applet in XP Pro SP2 Control Panel only some of the installed programs are displayed and the ones that are listed do not have an option to remove or change the program. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Hi,

If you're comfortable editing the Registry - or at least you could check - try this:

Go to Start => Run and type in "regedit" {without the quotes}
Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\<Program Name here>

Some don't have a recognizable name, just a long series of letters and numbers, but look in the right-hand pane at DisplayName.

In the right-hand pane:

Check if these values exist, and if so,

Double-click on 'NoRemove' and set its value to 0
Double-click on 'NoModify' and set its value to 0

If NoRemove is set to 1, the Remove button will be unavailable
If NoModify is set to 1, the Change button will be unavailable

·
Registered
272 Posts
hello,

if you don't really care much about having the option to remove the programs FROM add / remove (although its nice) you can download CCleaner which is my personal favorite program that I have ever used.

www.ccleaner.com it will allow you to add / remove programs on your computer, it also fixes some registry issues known on your computer, and cleans out sooo much crap from your computer. I ran it on my friends computer, deleted over 4 gigs of temporary files!

-- hope I helped somewhat :)
-- good luck

·
Registered
158 Posts
Rich-M said:
Be careful gary, cccleaner can be a good utility, but it also has been known to hose systems too exactly where you are going.
I would suggest XP Repair instead.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Just out of curiosity, you are referring to ccleaner's registry modifications, right? So I need to keep backups of my registry when using this tool? I have used it for a few years now and nothing bad has happened...yet. I didn't realize that it was harmful.

JBot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.