Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
The only methods I know to reduce heat in a laptop are:
fit larger feet (raised from table top or work surface)
clean out fan aperture regularly with compressed air
if desperate open up the casing and clean cpu/fan assembly reseating the fan on the cpu with heat conductive paste.

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
I've never heard of anyone modifying a laptop to add an extra fan. There's not much room int he case to mess with such things. Not to say it can't be done, but you might not get much in the way of actual experience or recommendations here on how to do it.

I agree with the suggestion to blow out the fans with compressed air.

There are also pads the laptop can sit on that help facilitate air flow and can make the laptop run cooler.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I'd say there's no way you're going to add anything to the laptop. There is simply no room for additions in any laptop that I've ever disassembled, there's hardly room for the stuff that's already in there! :D

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JohnWill said:
I'd say there's no way you're going to add anything to the laptop. There is simply no room for additions in any laptop that I've ever disassembled, there's hardly room for the stuff that's already in there! :D
nice funny...

thanks for fun

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, there was a serious thought in there, there really is no room for add-on fans.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The only thing you can do is add one of those cooling station bases to the bottom of the laptop. It usually plugs into a USB port. There's no room to add another fan in the laptop chassis.

I have changed the thermal paste on my notebook (it uses a full pentium 4 3.06ghz, not a mobile). It seems to have helped. I used Antec Silver. But there's still a tremendous amount of heat coming from the thing, its like a portable heater.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.