Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get a "no sound" issue resolved for several weeks to no avail. That thread is in the Win98 forum. The reason I mention this is because while trying to figure out how to get my sound back I was reviewing registry keys and looking at Device Manager, etc. I attempted to back up my registry (I'm running Win98SE) and discovered my scanregw.exe file was missing. I booted into DOS to see when my registry was last backed up under scanreg/restore (assuming it was today at boot-up) and saw that it hadn't saved a cab file since 16 October 2004. To make a long story short, I looked in my Adaware SE quarantine logs under that date (16 Oct 04) and found that it had quarantined my scanregw.exe file as a suspected Cool Web Search baddie. Obviously that is why my registry has not been backed up for 3 months.

I have been unable to register at Lavasoft's board. I get caught in an endless loop between used usernames and someone here is using that e-mail address. I don't know what is going on with that - I have never registered at that forum and I KNOW I am the only person with the e-mail address I have provided to them. Thus, I gave up and came here with flowers in my hand looking for help.

The question is simply: Do you think it will be okay to restore that quarantined log that contains my scanregw.exe file? There are other files within that log that do look like malware. Is it possible that my scanregw.exe file was corrupted by some CWS and in fact is bad? I would really like to replace the scanregw.exe file so my registry can be checked and backed up normally.

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was finally able to register at the Lavasoft forum. Unfortunately, no help has been offered at the Lavasoft Adaware SE forum. I'm a bit disappointed. I find removing important system files to be a cause for some concern.

I have copied the scanregw.exe file from a friends Win98SE computer. Can anyone tell me if I can copy this file to my Windows\System directory and solve my registry backup issue? I would very much appreciate any help offered here.

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
Hi Beano

Have you tried sfc to replace scanregw.exe?

If you restore the quaratine file from Ad-Aware SE, you can rerun Ad-Aware SE and have it remove everything except scanregw.exe, if it finds it again.

Then leave scanregw.exe in place, and run sfc to see if it finds it has changed in someway.
Use your Windows 98 disk to extract a new scanregw.exe file, if no disk is available, point sfc to the C:\Windows\options\cabs directory to extract and replace the file.

Otherwise, assuming the file you copied from your friend's machine is the same version your system had, I do not see why it would not work.
Try it with the command:
Start > Run > Scanreg

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your help. I replaced the Adaware Quarantine log and ran Adaware again. It found all of the objects in the original log except the C:Windows\scanregw.exe file. Unfortunately I cannot find that file under the proper directory. I tried to copy the file I took from my friend's computer but it wouldn't do that, I assume because it was a different version?

I apologize but I don't know what sfc is. I was able to run scanreg from Windows which I believe I was unable to do before. Doesn't that mean scanreg is working properly?

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
sfc = System File Checker

Start > Find > Files or Folders for scanregw.exe looking in: My Computer to see what directory scanregw.exe is in.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 185836
Description of the System File Checker Tool (Sfc.exe)

and just in case they pull this article, here are the contents.
Description of the System File Checker Tool (Sfc.exe)
SUMMARY
This article describes the System File Checker tool in Windows 98.
MORE INFORMATION
System File Checker checks for damaged or replaced system files, and then prompts you to replace any files that do not match the original Windows 98 files.

To start System File Checker, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, click System Information, and then click System File Checker on the Tools menu.
  2. Click one of the following options:
    Scan For Altered Files
    Extract One File From Installation Disk
    NOTE: If you click Extract One File From Installation Disk, you can specify the file you want to extract.
  3. Click Settings, choose the configuration you want to use in System File Checker Settings, click OK, and then click Start.
For additional information about how to use the System Information tool in Windows 98, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
184075 Description of Microsoft System Information (Msinfo32.exe) Tool

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition

Keywords: kbdiskmemory kbinfo KB185836
What is the directory for scanregw.exe?

Start > Run
key in:
msconfig
on the Startup tab, do you see this entry?
ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
is it enabled with a checkmark?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no file named scanregw.exe on my computer. Despite the fact that I restored the Adaware SE Quarantine log that removed it, it is still missing. That probably answers the question as to why the Adaware SE scan I ran right after restoring that quarantine log didn't find C:\Windows\scanregw.exe.

System File Checker found 2 corrupt system files. Unfortunately this is a 4 year old Compaq Presario that came with a recovery cd only. The hard drive is partitioned into C & D drive and D drive supposedly contains backup files. Browsing drive D reveals a bunch of strange numbered folder that all contain Win Zip files only. There are a bunch of "application" and "configuration settings" files but it all looks like a foreign language to me. The recovery cd doesn't allow me to browse it for specific files. I was warned about a recovery cd only purchase...and now it's making sense!

The 2 corrupted files are:

C:\Windows\uneng.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\CD Engine\WMAMgr.dll

My Philips external cd/rw burner is having problems. Is the above file tied to it? The Roxio support site is virtually useless. I can do a search to figure out what this dll file is.

When I check the startup tab in msconfig the ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun is checked. Unfortunately the program file is missing though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both of those corrupt files are tied to my Roxio ECDC 5 burner software. I can try and ferret out a solution on my own with these. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software several times without fixing the problem. I've been thinking lately that spending about $50 or so on an internal cd\rw with different burning software might be my best course of action!

This thread covers the uneng.exe file:

http://forums.techguy.org/archive/index.php/t-97772.html

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
Well being 4 years old, you probably have a lot of files that have been updated, so doing a file recovery 'only' would likely create more problems.

Do an Extract One File From Installation Disk
and point sfc to the
C:\Windows\options\cabs directory
to extract the scanregw.exe file.

Being that the file is no longer in your system, that could be why sfc did not report anything on it.

Recovery CD indeed!
Those are not even offered anymore!
I still have mine from the computer I bought six years ago. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate your assistance, EAFiedler. Since the scanregw.exe file seems to be gone, when I try to extract the file using sfc I cannot find it. Scanreg.exe is present under the C:\Windows\options\cabs directory but scanregw.exe cannot be found anywhere on my system. If I run the "scanreg" command in Windows does that backup my registry? If so I can manually do that from time to time. Or does it just scan the registry for errors? I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject. I'm great with AutoCAD!

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
Yes, using scanreg in the Run window will backup your registry.
Just check in
C:\Windows\sysbackup
to verify you have a new RB???.cab file dated with todays date.

Did you copy the scanregw.exe to a floppy or disk?
You could also try pointing sfc to that disk to see if it will extract the file from there.

Another thought, do you have Show Hidden Files enabled?
Show Hidden files and folders:
For Windows 98:
Open Windows Explorer,
View > Folder Options > View tab,
Verify that Show hidden files and folders is checked.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have a registry backup cab file with today's date. I guess I can use this command every so often(?) to back up my registry.

I never copied the scanregw.exe file to disk or floppy. It has apparently been removed? It was definitely removed by Adaware SE on 16 October 2004. Replacing that quarantine log file failed to replace that particular file for some reason. I have the copy of the scanregw.exe file from my friend's Win98SE computer on a floppy but when I tried to copy it into my directory it wouldn't allow me to do that.

I do have "show all files" checked under Explorer folder options.

I guess I should be able to manually backup my registry whenever the urge hits me or as often as you feel I should. I'm assuming if I add software or download a program, etc., I should make sure I back it up. Thanks so much for your help, EAFiedler.

·
Retired Moderator
14,171 Posts
With Microsoft pulling their articles and support for Windows 98, it is getting more difficult to find anything.

The scanregw.exe file should be in the WIN98_46.CAB of Win98SE.

Try pointing sfc to that particular .cab file. Though I would expect both scanreg.exe and scanregw.exe to be in the same .cab file.

I was referring to the copy of scanregw.exe you created from your friends machine.
If you point sfc to the floppy will it extract it from there?

Did windows give you an error message when you tried to copy scanregw.exe into the directory?

You are quite welcome.
I am calling it a night. If you come up with anything let us know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.