Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I'm not at all sure v8 had that capability, but I know for sure there were a lot of problems with storing an image on CD or DVD with even v9 and v10. It may have improved since then, but I don't use it, so cannot say for sure whether they have ever fixed the problems. An internal slave drive or a USB external drive works the best.

Raybro

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I had good success with backing up to DVD-R with Acronis 10.

I think the backup-to-DVD feature came at Version 9.

If you backup to a hard drive and the file is small enough to fit on a blank DVD, you could burn the file on a data DVD later and use it to restore later.
I've done this before.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would a 30 gig backup fit on a DVD? Also what software could do the copy from external disk to a DVD?

Acronis Help says ...backup to various removable media...

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Would a 30 gig backup fit on a DVD? Also what software could do the copy from external disk to a DVD?

Acronis Help says ...backup to various removable media...
CD's hold 700MB of data. Singe layer DVD's hold 4.7GB of data. Double layer DVD's hold 8.5GB of data. A drive with 30GB of data, using normal compression, would be compressed to about 18GB. That would require about 4 single layer DVD's or 3 double layer DVD's. DVD's are a great advantage over CD's... It would require over 25 CD's to record the same amount of data. These figures are based on compression to about 60% of the original size. The figures are not precise because the degree of compression varies with the type of files, but it will be close. Video and other graphics do not lend themselves to compression as well as text documents.

Acronis will automatically break the backup file into segments that will fit on the disc capacity and tell you when to insert a new disc. You must be careful to label them properly so the sequence is clearly understood.

One additional consideration. It definitely takes longer to create a backup using optical media than doing the same operation to a hard drive. Can't say how much longer as it's been years since I tried that. I do know it was a deal breaker for me.

I think prunejuice is correct regarding optical media capability came in at v9. As I said earlier, there were a lot of problems with it at first, but Acronis finally got them resolved, or so I'm told. So I kinda doubt v8 will do this for you. If you are registered on the Acronis site, there may be an update that will provide that capability.

Raybro

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.