Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what can i do to achieve maximum speed with my dsl line? att says that i can get up to 1.5mbps, but i can only get 1.2 I never get anything higher. Any solutions?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Not much you can do except complain to AT&T. One of the biggest things that hurts download speeds is upload bandwidth being used. If you start uploading something, you're download goes down the tubes until it's free again. You might limit your maximum upload speed to something like 38KBs in...shall we say, "certain programs" (if the option is available) to help your download speed.

If you are running XP, then there's not much else to do. But if you are using an older OS, you might try out some sort of optimization software.

·
Registered
317 Posts
danv12 said:
what can i do to achieve maximum speed with my dsl line? att says that i can get up to 1.5mbps, but i can only get 1.2 I never get anything higher. Any solutions?
there are no solutions, that is the max.

when isp cites speed it doesn't include overhead.
when it all comes down to what comes through
the wire to your computer you will get 80%
maximum of the cited speed.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Note that your contract states "Up to 1.5mbits". :) The actual speed depends on the distance you are from the telco CO, the line quality, and the quality of your interior wiring and installation.

You can control one part of the equation, the interior wiring.

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco service entrance. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.ing issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.