Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue with my desktop computer.

Running Vista Pro.

I don't know how to explain this for every search for answers have come up dry.

Somehow, my C: drive is listed as "Access Denied". Double clicking to open it up presents an alert "Access Denied". In fact, something even changed the name of the drive to "Access Denied".

I can run programs for the most part such as iTunes. I can access all the files in the Users folder but cannot always save to it. Anything that requires root operations is in accessible or telling me I don't have "permission to access the file"

For one, if I go the properties of any folder, I am completely missing the "Security Tab" (thinking I can change permissions). Anything such as running "regedit" or "msconfig" only presents me an "alert" saying that I don't have permission to access the files or program. Although I can run the cmd program. Anything such as msconfig returns an error 5 access denied.

What is going on? Or can you at least as me the right information I should offer to identify the problem.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the delayed response.

I tried each and every one of your options. I did not bother with ones that guide me to the Security tabs because I have none. But all of the other options always come up with "access denied". I am running CMD as administrator but to now avail.

The MUST be some solution. I just don't know where to turn.

:eek:

· Retired Trusted Advisor
34,876 Posts
First, disable the UAC.

Next,

Please click HERE to download and install HijackThis.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile from the Main Menu.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

IMPORTANT: Do not fix anything

If you can't run the program in Normal Mode, try it in Safe Mode.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the next suggestion. I had trouble with HijackThis.

The log file it produced was this:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 5:18:40 PM, on 1/15/2011
Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18999)
Boot mode: Safe mode

--
End of file - 233 bytes
However, when trying to run it, I got this alert message
---------------------------
HijackThis
Please help us improve HijackThis by reporting this error

Click 'Yes' to submit

Error Details:

An unexpected error has occurred at procedure: frmMain_Load()

Error #68 - Device unavailable

Windows version: Windows NT 6.00.1906

MSIE version: 8.0.6001.18999

HijackThis version: 2.0.2
Yes No
So I am not sure it ran properly (it did go quick). Does this mean anything?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Phantom010 What does that mean? Am I completely out of luck? I know that I can access part of C: drive as I can access files that are under the "User" section of Windows such as My Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc.

@lunarlander I have tried both for almost everything.

· Registered
15,654 Posts
Nothing I know of will change the label of a drive to Access Denied. I would have to assume that somebody had maliciously done that.

Since you still have read access to your files, I would backup to a usb stick and reinstall Vista.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nothing I know of will change the label of a drive to Access Denied. I would have to assume that somebody had maliciously done that.

Since you still have read access to your files, I would backup to a usb stick and reinstall Vista.
Thanks. It is validating that that is what I might have to do but discouraging that I might have to do that. My other problem is that I do not have the original Vista installation disks. So that is not a possibility. I want to upgrade to Windows 7 anyway and this might be the time to do it. If I do so, does it sound like I will need a whole new version or with the Windows 7 upgrade work?

My other fear is that won't even allow an OS installation since I can't install anything as is. It won't even let me reformat the drive since it is operating the OS. Meaning I may ALSO mean getting a new drive.

The most discouraging things is that I am out of work so EVERY penny matters at the moment.

· Registered
15,654 Posts
Do you have a Windows sticker on the side of the PC that has the serial code? Because the code is all that matters. You can borrow a Vista DVD from someone and use that code and it is still legit.

Nothing can stop a reinstallation of Windows. Because you are booting from a CD/DVD and bypassing all the problems with the current installed Windows. When you boot from a CD / DVD, it bypasses the current setup of Windows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.