Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Vista machine runs fine; but, I need to back up its data and do a factory system recovery. I removed its hard disk and connected it to a Windows XP Pro system with the intention of backing up all the User data; but, when I click on many of the folders within the Users folder, I get "Access Denied" errors.

I attempted to take ownership of the folders; but, that tab is missing from the right click. (Simple File Sharing is turned off.) To be clear, that tab is missing only on the folders that are inaccessible.

How can I get access to these folders?

So this thread doesn't get sidetracked, I already know I could simply put the hard disk back into the original Vista system and do the backup there; but, I need to solve this problem this way because I have to do this occasionally on systems where Vista will not run. So, I need to know how do gain access to these "Access Denied" folders from the XP Pro system.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Which file system is the drive formated?

With NTFS: Take ownership is not a tab. Rather, it is accessed on a subset dialog box that is found on the Security tab.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
There are several folders that aren't really folders, but are Junction Points/Symbolic Links. They are there only for backwards compatibility and don't actually contain anything. These will not have a Security tab.
Under Users:

• All Users
  • Default User
Under Users\Username:

• Application Data
  • Cookies
  • Local Settings
  • My Documents
  • NetHood
  • PrintHood
  • Recent
  • Send to
  • Start Menu
  • Templates

They don't contain anything, so there is nothing to backup. I'm not sure how to backup the actual Junction Points/Symbolic Links from XP though.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the folders I'm locked out of is \Users\UserName\Documents (not the same as the non-existent My Documents).

Thanks for the info about All Users and Default User. Although I never find anything to back up in Default User, I do (or did) in All Users.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Don't have an answer for the Documents folder. I haven't had any issues accessing any of them from an XP system. I was logged into XP using the Administrator account; don't know if that would make a difference.
And the Vista drive was a clean install, not an upgrade or dual boot setup

The Vista equivalent of the XP All Users folder is the C:\ProgramData folder, so don't forget to back that up as well. It's easy to overlook as it's no longer grouped with the User accounts as All Users is in XP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.