Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

access 2000 database

2K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  slurpee55 
#1 ·
I have a membership database created by someone who is no longer available to consult. It contains fields to check for organizations joined. The information was for 2008. I am getting ready for a new year and would like to keep the 2008 information but create a new form that clears those fields to insert 2009 information. Do I need to copy the 2008 database and save as 2009. I know this will sound crazy, but how do I do that? When I open the document and click save as it says save switchboard to _____________; save as _____________

#2 ·
The relationship between the members and the organizations should be setup as a one to many relationship. I am guessing that they set it up as a 1 to 1 relationship and you cannot add more records for those members. Could you empty out the data, zip and attach the file as an attachment in a post? Also you do not copy the file within Access you do it when browsing folders in windows explorer. I would not recommend having separate files for each year.

#3 ·
I would just click on the table with the 2008 data, paste it back into the same Access database. (Note, don't Save As.)
You will be asked to name the table (I would first rename the old table to something like "name" 2008 and then name the new one what it used to be called, that way any links, queries, etc. will go to the new table). Also, you will be asked if you want to append to existing data (no), paste Structure and Data (again, no) or paste Structure Only - click in this option.
Then you will have a new table with exactly the same structure as the 2008 one, and, since you used the name that the 2008 table used to have, all the queries, reports, forms, etc. will work.

#5 ·
He does not really want you to rename them. He wants you to copy them and then rename the original tables for 09. Are you going to ever need to track historical values along with current values?

#7 ·
Actually, I would rename them and retain the old tables for as long as needed - but keep the data in different tables. If I wanted to compare person x across years, I would just use a query to link the tables and filter for that person and see the data for all the years combined - or make a new table and append all the data to it.
But for using with a form, I would not keep the old data in with the new - gets too confusing.

#8 ·
Hold down your CTRL key and move the table down. You will have a copy of the table. Select the original hit "F2" which allows you to rename an object and name it 2009. Rename the copy you made to 2008 since it will say "Copy of 2008."

As an addendum after seeing slurpee's post. How I differentiate between old and current data is having a year field within the organizations table. I then have the form sort the record via the year in descending order to see the current records whenever they open the form. ;) It is harder to count fields across tables when you have different years in different tables.

#13 ·
Can I ask why you want a new table for 2009, rather than just adding the records to the original table?
You can restrict what you see on your form by having a Query restrict the date to 2009, but your data would still be available in the same table.

#15 ·
I wanted historical data about memberships. As you can see, I know nothing about access design--I just know how to put info in the forms that were created for me to use. The address book that pulls from the tables lists:
name Member assoc. and X club
address
home phone
cell phone
work phone
email address
same info for spouse
children's names, ages, schools
year moved into neighborhood
We would like to run a report that will show us past memberships in assoc and clubs

#16 ·
Can you post the empty shell for us to look at like I requested before? Like I was saying before and OBP backed up I prefer doing one table with all of the membership information in it. That is not one table for all of the database information it is only for one table for membership information and it will be one table for client information.

#17 ·
Jim, the Op has sent me a copy of the database and it is a Split "Replica", not the original so the design can't be changed. Also it had no Relationships set at all.
I have Imported everything in to a New Blank Database, but the original had a couple of errors so it is possible that the new version may have a few bugs to iron out.

#21 ·
Hi gang, been busy on 5 different but related databases today (much like and for the same client as that one you helped me with OBP).
As for stripping your data. First, make a copy of your whole database while it is closed - just copy and paste it. Open the new one up. Go to any table that might have data in it, highlight the data and hit delete.
If you can put in some fake data (John Doe, 555 Anywhere Street, Atlantis....that kind of thing) it will help me more. OBP can figure it out just from the design, but I need something more gritty to work with.
Then zip the file and upload it here using the Go Advanced button below - find the file upload button and follow the instructions....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.