Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why dont you get shocked when touching both terminals of a AA battery? what would you need to do to get shocked by a AA or AAA battery?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,559 Posts
The AA battery does not have enough amperage to kill you. The human body generates a ton of electricity, even more with static air. Ever touched a door knob and felt as well as seen the electricity? That is over 10,000 volts. But the amperage is very low, only 0.1 or roundabouts. to kill a human, the amps need to be about 3. So batteries have no where near the amount of amps needed to harm a human, in general. Voltage is the power, amps are the driving force.

Now, as to why the AA battery does not shock you...too much resistance in the skin and tissue to even register. They create about 1.5 volts whereas the body generates much more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,427 Posts
mshabsovich said:
why dont you get shocked when touching both terminals of a AA battery? what would you need to do to get shocked by a AA or AAA battery?
String about a thousand in a continuous circuit then touch the ends. Get back to me and let me know how it went. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know that it wont kill you. that wasnt my question. cant you get a buzz out of it though(tingly feeling)? like licking a 9 volt. when you lick a 9 volt you feel something but if you just touch the 9 volt nothing happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,559 Posts
no, you cannot. A 9 volt is much more powerful than a AA. That's kinda like asking, "Can a pistol hit as hard as a shotgun?"

The answer is invariably no. You cannot get a buzz, and really, why would you even WANT to?

Shocking yourself is not a pleasurable or fun pastime. There is a reason people die from electricity. Its application to the human body is a BAD thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not trying to shock myself. that would be stupid. I'm just trying to figure out the science behind it. a while ago i had a D size battery which had the thing where you press in order to check how much life the battery has left in it. when i tested it, it shocked me. there was something wrong with that battery. i exchanged it at the store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,580 Posts
you should not get shocked at all,

as already said, the human body has a VERY high resistance

OHM's law says Current = Voltage / Resistance

(V= Volts (V) I= Current (Amps) R= resistance (OHMS))

I= V / R

----------------------------------
so if V=1.5, R= 1Meg ohm (1000000)

I=0.0000015 amps 1.5 milliAmps

Remember "VOLTS JOLTS MILLS KILLS"

You probably got a jolt of static.

mshabsovich said:
I'm not trying to shock myself. that would be stupid. I'm just trying to figure out the science behind it. a while ago i had a D size battery which had the thing where you press in order to check how much life the battery has left in it. when i tested it, it shocked me. there was something wrong with that battery. i exchanged it at the store.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top