Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often copy files or folders from one drive to another to free up space. I run into a continual problem, that is I can't delete the folders once copied to another drive. I get the message that it is in use by another program or person. Short of restarting my computer I can't seem to delete even after I've closed any possible programs. Is there any way or program that will tell me which program is using a folder or file so as to cease that function in order to complete the delete?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Banned
2,680 Posts
try cut paste or copy paste not drag, explorer.exe is service so you can close it but desktop will go blank press for task manger new task type in explorer.exe or just explorer

· Banned
1,188 Posts
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/processlock.htm is a good, although complicated, starting point. As noted at the bottom there are other programs that show which process is locking a file. I haven't found one yet that will force a process to release the file other than by killing & restarting the process. As daz1 noted, if the process is explorer then you're probably better off to do it via Task Manager since it's such a 'central' process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.