Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using the trial version of Acronis TrueImage and I see two problems so far.

First: When scheduling backups, I can't find any way to limit the number of backups it saves. Is there not one?

Second: I see that Acronis doesn't back up directly to DVD. Do you guys actually sit there while you exchange 10- 20- or even 30 CDs as Acronis fills them? How do you overcome this?

At this point, all of my full system backups are written directly to 1- or 2 bootable DVDs by Norton Ghost and it sure is convenient.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I guess that's one way; but, I store my backups on DVD and using a USB hard disk to image to and then having to go through the extra operation of burning that backup to DVDs for long-term storage sure would take a lot of extra time.

What about limiting the number of saved scheduled backups? Is there something I'm missing or is it just not there?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, what I've done for my image backup of systems here is to schedule a small batch job before True Image runs. I backup to a file named 1CDRIVE.TIB each week. This batch file renames the existing backups and deletes the oldest one. I keep four copies, but you can tailor it for any number you like. Obviously, you can also change the folder location of the backups.

@echo off
if not exist H:\backup\main_c\1CD*.tib goto end
if exist H:\backup\main_c\4CD*.TIB del H:\backup\main_c\4CD*.TIB
if exist H:\backup\main_c\3CD*.tib ren H:\backup\main_c\3CD*.tib 4CD*.tib
if exist H:\backup\main_c\2CD*.tib ren H:\backup\main_c\2CD*.tib 3CD*.tib
if exist H:\backup\main_c\1CD*.tib ren H:\backup\main_c\1CD*.tib 2CD*.tib
:end

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.