Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5-year old HP Pavilion N5495 laptop that had a Logitech cordless optical mouse and a Linksys WPC54GS wireless adapter card connected to it. The external mouse was easier to use than the touchpad, and the wireless adapter came in handy when I needed a wireless connection when away from home.

I use Roadrunner cable for internet service and have the laptop connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 wired router via a CAT5 cable. Both of my desktops are also connected to the router via a CAT5 cable. I do not use a wireless connection at home.

2 days ago, I started having a problem with getting the laptop to fully start in normal mode. Previously to that, the normal sequence of events was the appearance of the HP logo, the appearance of the Windows XP logo, the appearance of a black screen for 10 - 15 seconds, the appearance of the mouse arrow within the black screen, the appearance of the welcome screen, and then the appearance of the desktop.

For some unknown reason, the sequence of events failed to get past the appearance of the black screen. I started in "safe mode with networking" and did some troubleshooting. I uninstalled the display driver and reinstalled it and even tried an older version, but that didn't work. I tried restoring to 2 previous restore points, but that failed.

I decided to disconnect the external mouse and wireless adapter and then restart. That did the trick. I've restarted several times since then with no problems.

Can someone enlighten me as to why this decided to occur 2 days ago?

(Note: The HP site advises that it's probably being caused by an internal hardware problem and to take the laptop to a repair shop. Considering the laptop is 5 years old, that's not an option.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I started in "safe mode with networking" and did some troubleshooting. I uninstalled the display driver and reinstalled it and even tried an older version, but that didn't work. I tried restoring to 2 previous restore points, but that failed.
Howdy flavallee...

Any errors in the Event Viewer ?

Also have you tried reconnecting the mouse and adapter separately to see if it occurs with one or the other?

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never heard of an event viewer. There's nothing listed with that name in the system tools menu.

No, I haven't tried reconnecting the wireless network adapter or external USB mouse separately to see if one or the other causes the problem. I'll give it a try later today and see what happens.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you know? Something new I just learned. :)

I'm on one of the desktops right now. I'll check it on the laptop later. Thanks. :up:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.