Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to network an xp prof machine with a win 98 machine.
I have two nics in the xp machine ,one is d-link dfe- 530TX the other is on board sis 900 pci fast ethernet adapter.
The 98 machine has the same d-link card.
My dsl is connected to the d link nic on the xp machine and i ran a cat 5e cable from the sis 900 nic to the d link nic on the 98 machine.
I have two internet connectivity icons on the task bar by my clock and one says" a network cable is unplugged"I check the connections they are all plugged in.
I ran the network connect wizard in xp and checked the "ignore unplugged device" box as it would not let me continue without doing that and everything set up fine.
I then stuck my xp disc in the 98 machine and chose the setup network option and everything worked fine.But i still show it as being unplugged.
It is a brand new nic in the 98 machine,and when i swithch the two connections around on my xp machine it shows the d-link as being unplugged,which more or less tells me that the nic in the 98 machine is no good,or i am not doing something right here.

I know 2 people who have successfully networked 2 c systems together this way without a router or hub,so i know i do not need one.
They only thing is they networked win 98 to win 98 and xp to xp.
I am trying to network xp to 98 but i dont think that should really make a difference.
I also run norton internet security 2003,I disabled it but it still doesnt work.

Could someone try to guide me through this i am very new to this and do not know about protocols and the like.
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure what a crossover cable is but the one i have is a cat 5e.
It says on the back of the package that i can share files and internet connection with it.

I really did not know there were different types,maybe i need a router with this type of cable?
what do you think?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I paid $60.00 [cdn] at future shop........I know I Know i got SEVERELY ripped off.
I went down the street to a mom and pop comp store and got the same 50 ft cable for $15.

I questioned the manager at future shop when i returned the cable as to why so expensive and first he said he has no control over the pricing and second that "You bought one didnt you"
so i guess newbies like me get scammed.Im glad i found that other store,which by the way will be getting all my business from now on.
Thanks for the help.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Gee, for $60 I bought a bag of connectors, the tool to crimp them, and a spool of cable. I can make tons of cables, either plain or crossover. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.