Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, admittedly, I'm tired and I think of things like this when I get tired so ....

Consider the statement "all generalizations are false." The statement is itself a generalization and therefore false. So if all generalizations are not false then some generalizations are true. So is the generalization that "all generalizations are false" true?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
It is easy to determine that the original statement is false, simply by proving all other possibilities (ie. that the original statement is true) to be incorrect. If it was actually true, it would result in the logical paradox you mentioned.

Alex

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fyzbo said:
Actually if "all generalizations are false" is a true statement, it is not a generalization. After all what would it be generalizing about? If it's a false statement then it is as it's generalizing all generalizations as false generalizations where they don't all fit into that sub catagory.
Now I have a headache too. :D

.... and it's spelled 'category.' ;)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
So is the generalization that "all generalizations are false" true?
It's false because some generalizations are false and some aren't.

Consider the statement 'I always lie' next time you get tired :p

Have fun :D

·
Banned
2,581 Posts
coderitr said:
So is the generalization that "all generalizations are false" true?
No, but then its a generalization.... :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.