Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a completely baffling problem and I can't find anyone who can help me.

I have a Power Mac G5, 1.8GHz, I think the graphics card is an FX 5200.

I have previously been plugging a VGA monitor into the DVI in of my graphics card (via the Apple adapter provided). I recently decided to get a second monitor to do all that dual display bigger desktop stuff.

I bought a 17" TFT, and sent its DVI out through a little DVI-ADC adapter, so it would fit into the unused ADC port of the graphics card.

both displays work great, look great, dragging windows back and forth etc except my internet connection just stops! A trickle then nothing.

When i disconnect the new monitor, it goes back to normal again. soon as i plug it it - bam! off my internet goes again! Even if I use the new one on it's own it doesn't work. And no other applications are ever affected. Games, Cubase/Logic music apps etc are all fine.

I can't understand why these things are related. I would so appreciate it if someone could help me on this!!!

Jake

·
Registered
172 Posts
wow, that sounds interesting, check your cables when the monitor is hooked up. it for some reason could be screweing with the LAN cable, also check your power supply, your monitor may actually be draining too much power (in combination with your computer etc)
other than that... I can't see a monitor confliciting with your DSL.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help on this shyataroo, I have looked into it some more.
I am currently using a wireless connection, so there is no LAN cable to check. The monitor port and the wireless aerial are next to each other on the back of the machine, but other than that I can't see how they might interfere.

The screen itself works fine, even on its own, and other applications seem unaffected so I don't think its a power supply issue.

Maybe I'll have to buy a new graphics card or something! One with DVI ports only, and not ADC. But they are so expensive.

Still utterly confused. I've paid for a brand new monitor just sitting there doing nothing!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds to me you should attempt to rule out interference with your connection, it's surprising what a current carrying cable in close proximity can do!

Perhaps move things around, attempting to keep cables away from the LAN, it sounds alot to me like interference, due to the gentle drop. Download an interference ap to monitor the strength and clarity of the signal, I think there are some available for Konfabulator if you are unable to find a standalone version.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.