Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished a book by Philip Pullman called the 'Golden Compass' and my
favorite hero is a bear. His name is Iorek Byrnison and he's a fantastic
character. But, it got me to thinking. About our own heroes.

My dad was a big hero for me.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
ekim: I think that the media has degraded the word 'Hero' to a point that it is absolutely meaningless today.
This is not to say that heroic acts are not performed everyday by ordinary people, just that a big deal is made of the fact that somebody did his duty admirably,
(which is expected of everyone). These people are my heros because I respect people who perform everyday, the tasks assigned to them.
Real heros go above and beyond the call of duty.
I am a WW2 veteran who goes to VA medical clinics for health care and sometimes sit in waiting rooms there and wonder if I am sitting in the company of genuine heros.
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I have felt this way for some time now and just wanted to share it with TSG.

·
Registered
59,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hal,
Thank you for your response. I was trying to convey a more localized version of hero.
Relating to those around us who shape our imaginations. However, I do see where
you're coming from....I was in the military, too...And, you're right, those people were
true heroes...And, by the way, thanks for your service...

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I agree with both of you.

Yes, the term hero has less of a significant meaning when you think of all the people that really deserve it (veterans etc.), but in the broader sense, people have become so self absorbed that they tend to forget who have been there for them when they really needed it on a personal level.

Big 'ups' to those that recognize those that mean enough to call them their 'hero'. :up:

·
A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten
17,197 Posts
I would say that it requires the spontaneous willingness of an individual to put his/her life at risk for harm or death in order to save another, or others from the same.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
ekim68 said:
What does it take to be a hero?
Many different kinds of heros. As far as bravery/heroic acts---I believe it takes a deliberate action with full knowlege of the harm that may come.
Sometimes people act out fear, just react to a situation without thinking or are more or less forced into heroic action.
I believe the most heroic have thought about danger/harm/risk to themselves ---made the decision---and put themselves at risk --for the benefit of others. Understanding risk and choosing it for anothers benefit is the highest form, esp if there is a high probabilty that one will lose life .
Of course there are other types of heros who may be examples of what we would like to be, people who sacrifice with time, labor or in other ways.
Seems to me that anyone who ignores self-interest ---personal gain ---fear, for the benefit of others ---is a hero :) >f

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Ahhh, now you guys are talking my language. There are many heros that go unrecognized every day. A teacher who takes time to give special attention to a struggling student, a truck driver who stops to help a stranded motorist, a Boy Scout Leader who instills a sense of duty in his troop and on and on. People doing their jobs as best they can with no expectation of reward. As Eggplant says putting yourself at risk to help others makes you a Hero with a capital H.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
My heroes are as follows:

my mother
my father
my band teacher
my enrichment teacher
my 7th grade social studies teacher
Tohru Honda (a character in an anime series)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ekim, wonderful book though I've not read it in many years. Having read it I understood what you tried to convey.

To me a hero is someone who think of others well being before thinking of their own. The rape counselor who having survived their own rape knowing each call might triigger their own horror still answer that phone to help someone else through their current horror. The firemen and women who enter burning buildings. The policeman who responds to numerous calls daily never knowing which will end in violence. The members of our armed forces who enlisted! To me that they enlisted on their own, knowing that at anytime during their enlistment they might be asked to make the ultimate sacrifice so that I live in a free nation makes them a hero. The teacher who goes out on a limb and reports suspected child abuse in the hope that the child will grow up knowing they are loved, with a full belly living in a warm cozy home daily. I'd say foster parents, but want to be sure you know I mean the loving kind ones who do it for the children. The recovering alcoholic who offers to help an newbie to the program knowing that to do os will test their own convictions in sobriety. Those who donate their loved ones organs, or their own blood, marrow, etc.

My answer may be superficial, but to me if one truly makes a positive difference in the life of another then they are a hero. Each of us will have our own heroes based on who makes a difference in our own lives.

Flags, next time you sit there wondering, take a second, introduce yourself talk with them, find out. To some of them then you jsut may become a hero for caring enough to talk with them.

·
Registered
59,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A_erised,
What a fantastic comparison....The main thing in my small world is to look out for
each other....(Someday, I'd like to be referred to as a 'hero', even if it's for a small
thing, like helping my neighbors start their car.)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Wish I could recall all of the details, but I recall once reading about a white man who stopped to help an unknown black woman change a tire on a rainy night. (Don't get wired about the inclusion of skin color, read the rest! Geesh) Turned out the 'black woman' had a famous musician husband (maybe Louis Armstrong?) he was in the hospital dying. Had the white man not stopped and helped she would not have made it to her husband's bedside before he died. I feel confident in saying that until she too died, that unknown white man was one of her heroes.

I tried to find on the net if it was Satchmo's wife, but did not. I am sure someone here will know. If I have the wrong musician I am sorry, but the point was it was a very small act, but it meant the world to her.

Just remember, to the world you might be just someone, but to someone you just might be the world.

Have a good one. Our first non rainy day, since last Monday. Laundry laundry laundry. Gotta love line dried laundry.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Very honorable ekim68, but..out of curiosity, would that not just be the 'gentlemanly' thing to do? Granted, it had temendously gratifying repercussions for the woman involved. I'm just not too sure if it was 'heroic'.
When I was growing up, my parents taught me to always show respect, to help others, and to behave like a gentleman. My brothers and I do our best to live up to that every day, although we do tend to slip on a regular basis;).
Has it gotten to the point that people have confused 'chivalry' (for lack of a better term), or the odd polite gesture to heroism?

Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Flags said:
I am a WW2 veteran who goes to VA medical clinics for health care and sometimes sit in waiting rooms there and wonder if I am sitting in the company of genuine heros.
Mr. Flags, I can comfortably say you are a hero. You are part of the reason we post on this American forum in English, instead of German or Japanese. I respectfully salute you sir. :up:

Cheers, Mac :)

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
MacFromOK said:
Mr. Flags, I can comfortably say you are a hero. You are part of the reason we post on this American forum in English, instead of German or Japanese. I respectfully salute you sir. :up:

Cheers, Mac :)
Ditto! :up:

I caught a bit of a broadcast on TV tonight regarding what I consider to be a hero.
I missed the start of the broadcast, but got the general idea. My apologies for any indiscretions in this relay.
A serviceman in Iraq was searching through the rubble of a building that had recently been bombed.
He came across a very young boy, who had lost both of his parents.
He took the young boy with him and delivered him to a local hospital, then to an orphanage.
This on its own was not courageous.
He visited the young boy (who, it turns out, suffered from Cerebral Palsy) often before returning to wherever he was based.
After much thought, the serviceman decided to go back to visit him again.
The serviceman felt that if the boy was to stay in Iraq, he would have to bear an insufferable life, if he was to survive at all.
With this, he decided to take the boy back with him to the States and adopt him.
This serviceman is a bachelor and has given up his time and social life (his words) and traded his sportscar in for a family wagon (again, his words).

This guy may not have made the ultimate sacrifice, but has certainly sacrificed his living to make a change.

I don't consider this gentleman 'my hero' but, a hero none the less.

LD.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Little den I did not mean to imply that the tire changer was a hero that we all would recognize, but that to one person that act made him a hero.

Hero was a priestess of Aphrodite, beloved by Leander, according to a dictionary. We would, I think, all think of a hero as someone who demonstrated great courage for a noble cause, especially at great risk to their own life. Our language is a living language and thus always evolving and changing. My Gramma would be shocked to know ain't is now not only acceptable, but in the dictionary. LOL As a child I heard often how it was considered an indication of illiteracy that now self respecting person would ever use ain't. LOL.

Many words fall into that category. I was making the point that we each have individual heroes, and that an act one would consider heroism, MIGHT be one we would consider and act of civility.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
And I too did not mean for you to take it that that person was not a hero. My intended reasoning was that in my opinion, the term is used so lightly that it detracts from the people that deserve more recognition than they possibly do get.
In saying that, a hero would not do it for the recognition anyway, but, it would never hurt people to show them a little more grattitude and respect for what they have done.
I suppose, apon reflection, the term 'hero' has now become graded or even categoriesed.
But yes, to that woman, he is probably a hero. :up:

·
Registered
59,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Heroes are in the eye of the beholder..In my opinion...There are so many people that
qualify...Thank goodness....And, thank goodness for those who would sacrifice everything for it....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.