Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Man Down, a Train Arriving, and a Stranger Makes a Choice

It was every subway rider’s nightmare, times two.

Who has ridden along New York’s 656 miles of subway lines and not wondered: “What if I fell to the tracks as a train came in? What would I do?”

And who has not thought: “What if someone else fell? Would I jump to the rescue?”

Wesley Autrey, a 50-year-old construction worker and Navy veteran, faced both those questions in a flashing instant yesterday, and got his answers almost as quickly.

Mr. Autrey was waiting for the downtown local at 137th Street and Broadway in Manhattan around 12:45 p.m. He was taking his two daughters, Syshe, 4, and Shuqui, 6, home before work.

Nearby, a man collapsed, his body convulsing. Mr. Autrey and two women rushed to help, he said. The man, Cameron Hollopeter, 20, managed to get up, but then stumbled to the platform edge and fell to the tracks, between the two rails.

The headlights of the No. 1 train appeared. “I had to make a split decision,” Mr. Autrey said.

So he made one, and leapt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/03/n...&en=8ed5fe0a88df5986&ei=5094&partner=homepage

·
Always remembered in our hearts
82,160 Posts
He's beyond a hero!! :up: :) He should ride the subway free for the rest of his life as a reward for his extreme bravery!! :up:

·
Registered
32,642 Posts
A brave man.. My husband once risked his life to save a child from drowning.. long before i met him.and if it hadnt been for the brave man who jumped in the duckpond to pull me out when 1 was 6 i might not be here to tell this.. and i never got to thank him

·
Registered
59,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another one.

'You're Not Going to Die Tonight'

It was unlucky that William "Al" Slaughter was wearing his slick, new dress shoes as he walked on an icy dock next to his houseboat on D.C.'s Southwest waterfront Monday night.

In an instant, he skidded deep into the 38-degree water and could not hoist himself out of the Washington Channel, he said. It was 10:30, and not a soul was around to hear him cry "Help!"

After about 10 minutes, Slaughter, 53, who is a crewman on a yacht that cruises the Potomac River, started to lose muscle control in the frigid water, he said. Just then, he could not believe his eyes: Three men were ambling along the street by the Washington Marina, separated from him by a seven-foot-high iron fence.

He yelped for them, and one, aided by the others, climbed over the fence and ran over to Slaughter, who was struggling to keep his head above water.

Floyd Lipscomb, who police said is homeless, tried to pull Slaughter out of the channel. But he did not have the strength to pull Slaughter and his heavy wool coat out of the water, Slaughter said last night from his room at George Washington University Hospital.

So Lipscomb held on tight to Slaughter's arm and told him: " 'You're not going to die tonight. I'm going to hold on to you. I got you,' " Slaughter said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/23/AR2007012301647.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.