Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The company I work for recently purchased four laptops with legal copies of Vista Business.
Is it ethical and legal to tweak one of the laptops, make an image of that laptop then copy that image to the other three laptops?
My intention is to save time in doing this. If it is not ethical/legal I will tweak each laptop individually.

Thank you for looking.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
In my opinion this is the equivalent of buying one copy of Vista Business with a license to use it on 4 PCs. So, I consider it ethical.

I have no clue what Microsoft would say about the legality.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
If you have a Volume License, perfectly legal and ethical. If individual license, as long as each laptop ends up with the proper Product Key, still legal and ethical. Just need to use sysprep then install and apply the proper key, or clone and then change the product key - Control Panel | System | Change product key

HTH

Jerry

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
outcast sounds right to me. Even though you have 4 licences, each is individual to each machine, so cloning and installing would tecgnically be illegal, but if you put back the original key, I guess that it would be legal, as there is no licence evasion. Besides, it sounds like a good idea :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.