Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 3 1/2 inch floppy with some data on it from my 486 computer that i want to be able to download onto my pentium. I've tried loading the program for it "Microsoft Works" but it won't complete the installation. It keeps telling me that a file, "SHARE.EXE" cannot be found.
When i try taking it from the a: drive and into My documents without the works program, it just pops up in hyroglyphics. Where will i get this share file? or how can i possibly read it?
Lynda

·
Registered
50 Posts
What kind of file is it? Please give the extension. That's the part of the file name after the dot. It should be possible to read it into something you've got if we know that.

Do you have MS Office on your current system, and also what version of Windows is on it?

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Hi Lynda, welcome to TSG

What operating system are you running?

It appears that you need to load share.exe in your autoexec.bat file.....

Are you familiar with editing this file?

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
What version of Works is it? Might not be compatible with Win98. Do you have the original installation disks or are you just trying to copy it from one PC to another?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again,
I have microsoft office on my computer but the file is from microsoft works. some of the files have .wps after them. Others just have the name i gave it with no extension.
Lynda

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
"Hi,
I have a 3 1/2 inch floppy with some data on it from my 486 computer that i want to be able to download onto my pentium. I've tried loading the program for it "Microsoft Works" but it won't complete the installation. It keeps telling me that a file, "SHARE.EXE" cannot be found.
When i try taking it from the a: drive and into My documents without the works program, it just pops up in hyroglyphics. Where will i get this share file? or how can i possibly read it?
Lynda"

Above it states you were trying to install MS Works....this program will not install on Win95 OSR2 because it doesn't support share.exe needed to run the program. Just transfer the .wps files to a diskette and MS Word will be able to open them just fine as long as it is version 3 or 4 of Works they were created with.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
What version of Word are you running? Are you sure the files will open on the other computer with MSWorks installed?

And I see Rockn beat me to it, I was going to suggest the same thing.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.