Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Call for Change. Real Change..

A Change of the Debate
The condition of contemporary political dialogue is disgraceful. Rather than debating the issues, American media figures, politicians, and commentators repeat old arguments and report valueless stories. For example, no less than 8,826 news stories were written on our nation’s (so-called) “beer summit.” To be frank, who cares? Is it uplifting? No. Is it encouraging? No. Is it intellectually stimulating? No. Does it matter beyond the clicking of cameras? No.

The political debate today should not be commenced with insults (Obama, “stupid”), race baiting (Professor Gates), or unwarranted accusations (Glenn Beck, Obama is “a racist”). That’s not debate. That’s diatribe.

-- Tom

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
A Change of the Motive
Essentially, Republicans want you to vote Republican and Democrats want you to vote Democrat. There you have it, that’s the motive. That, however, is the wrong motive. Remember, why do we debate? Ostensibly to determine the best solution. But if ultimately the debate is motivated by party-politics, the actual purpose for debate is negated.
:up:

Im trying....Im really trying.

·
Registered
18,286 Posts
:up:

Im trying....Im really trying.
that "Change of Motive" is a "nail on the head" kinda quote, Sarge :up:

tho personally, i found the beer summit fascinating....we may have "indulged" ourselves in it a bit to much, news wise -and obama is as much as fault -for turning it into an "event"- as the media was for covering it ad nauseum, imo....but the ACTION itself was pretty cool, i thought

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
that "Change of Motive" is a "nail on the head" kinda quote, Sarge :up:

tho personally, i found the beer summit fascinating....we may have "indulged" ourselves in it a bit to much, news wise -and obama is as much as fault -for turning it into an "event"- as the media was for covering it ad nauseum, imo....but the ACTION itself was pretty cool, i thought
I try my best to remain neutral. I realize Im "conservative" or at least have some "conservative" views. But I am also a "democrat".

I seriously try to maintain a balance when I talk about politics although it may not always come out like that. I do my best to not bash one politician for one thing and not the other for the same thing...but Im not perfect.

Politics is a bloodsport and Im just not that into blood. Misleading, misrepresenting, misquoting and just flatout lying, Im not into that. I thought about getting my feet wet but I dont think I could handle the pressure. Ive many of times wanted to reach through this screen and grab a couple of people by the necks. :eek:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Something in there for everybody. I like this:

We don’t need the prettiest face in America to report our news. We need the most articulate, intelligent, and proficient individual. We don’t need hate and the party-line to be constantly propagated by the radio waves. We need the facts, the truth, and the solution. We don’t need ignorance and insults to populate the internet. We need reason, principle, and intelligence to be king.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
and this:

Think of social justice. Our system of foreign aid must be revamped. Rather than making developing countries dependent on American foreign aid, we should concentrate it in areas where it permanently changes entire countries and makes future American aid unnecessary. By spreading American solutions to poor African and Asian countries and encouraging entrepreneurship this can be accomplished.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
But mostly this:

How Can You be a Catalyst for Change?
Here are some suggestions.
• Turn off the television, end your cable subscription.
• Unsubscribe from your daily newspaper.
• Call talk radio and express your views.
• Write a letter to the editor.
• Don't let yourself be defined as "progressive," "Conservative," "Republican," or "Democrat." Recognize that men are in many ways existential.
• Vote according to principle and reason. Not based on party.
• Live what you believe. Believe what you live.
• Read. Research. Remember.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
A Call for Change. Real Change..

A Change of the Debate
The condition of contemporary political dialogue is disgraceful. Rather than debating the issues, American media figures, politicians, and commentators repeat old arguments and report valueless stories. For example, no less than 8,826 news stories were written on our nation’s (so-called) “beer summit.” To be frank, who cares? Is it uplifting? No. Is it encouraging? No. Is it intellectually stimulating? No. Does it matter beyond the clicking of cameras? No.

The political debate today should not be commenced with insults (Obama, “stupid”), race baiting (Professor Gates), or unwarranted accusations (Glenn Beck, Obama is “a racist”). That’s not debate. That’s diatribe.

-- Tom
Great entry, Tom:up:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts