Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backstory: Was working on a computer yesterday that was infested with spyware and downloader trojans. Ran Hijack This! and Spybot S&D. When I had Spybot clean-up the computer, Windows crashed. I tried to boot in Safe Mode, only to find no Windows config files. Same in normal mode, except that the computer was going through the 98 1st ed. startup routine (comp. was orginally first edition). Started mentally going over the spyware, etc., that Spybot found, and remembered that there was one that I had never encountered before: Windows Enhancer, or something similarly named, which is supposed to enhance Windows functionality (yeah, right). Anyway, it's listed at PCHell as a trojan, so I do feel justified in removing it, though I probably should have looked before I hit the "Fix selected problems" button. I upgraded the computer to 98 SE (which I was going to do anyway), and that fixed most of the problems, save one.

Question: Norton Anti-Virus is no longer installed on the machine (it's config files were deleted as well, kept telling me to install program), yet during the boot sequence the computer has a command to run a quick virus scan of boot sectors. Now, I have been through the sys.ini (where the computer says the command line is located), and cannot find it. I'm wondering if it is "hidden" like so many other programs' install logs were after I upgraded to fix, or if I'm just a dork and can't find it. I cleaned up the registry in the hopes that that might fix it, but that didn't work. It isn't a major problem, as all one must do is press a key two times to get Windows started, but this is an older woman's computer, and I don't want her to be intimidated by error messages. I'm going to reinstall Norton AV 2002 this afternoon after work in the hopes that it will rectify the problem, but on the off-chance that it doesn't work, do any of y'all have any suggestions short of reloading the computer? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
152 Posts
for me...if having the software available to do a fresh format/reinstall...thats what i would do......the amount of time it takes imo is the better option..and the old lady gets a clean slate!..upgrade the nav as well

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Managed to get it fixed last night by installing Norton and running Live Update (thank heaven). The first time I installed it the computer crashed, so I went in safe mode and removed all mention of NAV (including BAK and TMP files), and then did a fresh install. Computer runs wonderfully now. Thanks for the help!

(This thread can be marked as Solved.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.