Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a LAN working just fine. I installed a new computer running XP. XP can see all the shares on 95/98 pcs, and 95/98 pcs can see the XP pc, but can't access the shares -- always asks for password "Password needed to access \\NADIA\IPC$". No passwords work, and shares are set up so no passwords are supposed to be needed. Interestingly, asks for password without allowing browsing, suggesting it's not share-related, but IP level password that's being sought. I'm very frustrated. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
The IPC$ is the administrative share for file and printer sharing. Is the workgroup name the same as the other computers on the network? Is the C: drive or other drive set up as a shared drive?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I matched up the workgroups, set up a user on XP with a known username and password that I used on the 98 computer. Still got the same result. Everything I'm reading says it has to do with that username/password combo on the 98 computer matching up with one of the username/passwords on the XP computer. I set up a username/password on the XP computer, then did the same on the 98 computer. Same message. I had this same issue when I was setting up SAMBA on my Linux machine elsewhere, and the username/password thing fixed it. I guess I just have to go over it again and make sure I'm not missing a step somewhere.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
If you are in an O/S using NTFS you can see Fat and Fat32 but it in an o/s using Fat or Fat32 you can't see NTFS..
Del

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.