Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning.

I am in the process of purchasing a digital camera, and I am trying to find a memory card reader for the following setup. I hope any one of you can help me.

I have a 4 pin firewire port on my 3 year old computer. Most, if not all, of the firewire card readers being sold have 6 pin connections. I can get a 6 to 4 adapter cable, but all of the card readers I have found get power from the bus on the computer through the 2 extra pins, and do not have a standalone power option.

So my question is this: Do any of you use a 6-pin firewire memory card reader with standalone power (AC adapter, batteries, the like)? FYI, I am using a Sandisk 1 GB CF II card.

This has been an incredibly hard piece of information to find out. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Why are you looking for a Firewire reader?

USB readers are the common vehicle and are very inexpensive. I don't even recall ever seeing an Ad for a firewire version?

I do not believe that you can conjure up a performance issue between the to.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
My laptop is USB 1.1 and I use a USB card reader for my Digital Camera's cards...no problem. I ave also used the cards as Data Cards (floppy) for transfers between systems.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Unless there's some burning need for super speed, the USB 1.1 connection is quite sufficient for the FLASH card reader. If it takes about 4 minutes to read a 256MB load from the camera card, so what? FWIW, you can also purchase a USB 2.0 card for your computer for around $15, which will solve the speed problem. No sense trying to fit a round peg into a square hole here...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.