Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Titile should say 429 Runtime Error)

Running Vista Home Premium on a Dell XPS M1330, 3 Gigs Ram, 2Ghz. System in brand new. At first the program would install just fine, but, when I clicked to run it, I got the following error message "Component 'MSCOMCTL.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid" when I tried to run it.
After doing the Rgedit
Both the my System32 and System files have 'MSCOMCTL.OCX', and I've already re-registered them to make sure.

When I ran Dependancy Walker, I got an error message saying "Warning: at least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependant module"

Apparently the modules are IeFrame.DLL file ( Funtions 141, 159, and 160 are N/A - Not bound), and SHLWAPI.DLL ( function 467 is not bound).

I tried simply downloading new copies of IeFrame.DLL and SCHLWAPI.DLL and putting them into the system32 folder; however, no luck...

P.S. Yes I have ownership of the program, and I'm running it as an Administrator.

My error now is A 429 Runtime Error (Active X controler can't read object), and the MSCOMCTL.OCX error message is gone...

This is a really simple program. It's no more than a program used to search multiple text books, and it works fine on XP SP2.

Please HELP.

·
Trusted Advisor
17,571 Posts
What and where did you get this VB program?
Remember that Vista is NOT XP, so things that were written for XP and before MAY not run at all on Vista.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...it's a noname programe made back in 2004, by a random guy to search a compilation of texts. The program is actually written in Arabic, so, I wish I could somehow further elaborate which program it is - it's called Alalbaniv2 - if google that, you can download a copy here (http://www.saaid.net/book/p/alalbaniV2.exe) it's freeware, so, no worries about a license - it's about 60megs alltogether.

The program simply searches through a series of Arabic Texts by Keyword, and allows you to save certain searches, etc.

The whole program is written in a total of two .Dll files, each about 30 MB in size.

The program istalled just fine, it just won't run...

·
Trusted Advisor
17,571 Posts
Which means that it is NOT Vista ready. You might try and run it using the compatibility mode. Right click the EXE file and then select properties. You should see the what you need to select on the compatibility tab.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried... no luck.

Hey, is there a way to somehow modify the code in the DLL files to get it to work on Vista? ...or to somehow cut and paste the DLL files with the texts to get them to work. Again it's a relatively small program. I'd actually be willing to pay someone to do it...

What's the compatibility pad?

·
Trusted Advisor
17,571 Posts
Do a Google search on the following Vista "VB programs" site:microsoft.com and see what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
464,000 results...lol

I mean, I don't understand why it wouldn't work... If the compatibility mode is supposed to emulate xp sp2, and the program works fine on xp, I really don't see what the problem is...
I've already spent about a week trying to get this thing to work...I wish I could just give up on it, but, I really need that program. I may actually can Vista alltogether and go back to Xp just for that program.

·
Trusted Advisor
17,571 Posts
If the compatibility mode is supposed to emulate xp sp2, and the program works fine on xp, I really don't see what the problem is...
That should be "May" work when using the compatibility mode. It has NEVER been that things WILL work always.

·
Trusted Advisor
17,571 Posts
"464,000 results...lol "

You did not do the right entry, type in the following in the search pane:
Vista "VB programs" site:microsoft.com

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I'm pretty sure the configuration settings are telling the program to go somewhere Vista is not recognizing. I don't know what these settings mean though.

Does anyone know why these configuration settings would = runtime error 429 in Vista?

[Font]
Name=Traditional Arabic
Size=14
Bold=1
Italic=0

[advance]
combo1=10
combo2=106
moamel=aw
noo=mo

[fast]
combo1=0