Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I operate with Windows 98se, 128Ram, Hard disk 75 percent free.

1. Have been in touch with McAfee, to no avail:
When I start my computer, the red square of McAffe loads, then I get a splash screen of the Security Center that tells :
Security Center is running
Antivirus is not installed.
By that time, the red square has turn to black, as disabled.

Which brings to the second problem:
When I get to the McAfee Website to try to download an up-date (after being accepted as a subscriber), I get a screen that tells that I must have a browser higher than Explorer5.5 while I actually run Version 6.
Let say that I was able to contact and get updates or re-installations before, without problem.
So, what may be causing that I can no longer access their site?

2. Looking in my program files, I found a program called Crystal Decision.
I found many web site advertising such programs, but I suspect that it
is a spyware of some sort. Am I right or wrong?

3. I can no longer open some pictures from some picture files or from attachements. I get a message that Windows cannot find supprimer.exe I found only one site that referred to this program, in France, and from I could understand, that would be the result of a Trojan.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Michel

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
"supprimer" is french for "remove", or "suppress".

Hence the hits from french sites.... it's not a file name they are talking about though.

supprimer .exe files = remove .exe files?

·
Banned
2,581 Posts
As to your 1st problem, McAfee:

I used to have McAfee and got rid of it, too many bells and whistles. Since that time I have never regretted my decision. McAfee doesn't scan for viruses very well - check out their rating in VirusBulletin.com. They also take up too many system resources, about 16%, and last time I checked tech support took 8 days to get back to you. I got Norton and never wen't back. You can buy Norton 2004 on Froogle for about $12.00 on Froogle. This includes free updates for one year.

As to your second problem, Crystal Decision:

Download Adaware from Lavasoft for free. It'll tell you if you have a trojan:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

If you look on Google there are also a number of free spyware checkers

3rd problem, Superprimer:

Yes this looks suspicios to me too. Depending on whether this is a jpg or a bmp you are trying to open I would reassociate jpg's with Photoeditor
C:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\photoed.exe

and bmp's with mspaint:

C:\program files\accessories\paint.exe

To do this go to STart>settings>folder options>file types and scroll down to find jpeg and mspaint. Then under Edit>Browse navigate to the files I told you to above and click Okay . Under Association write .jpg or .bmp and under action type

OPEN

You're done!

Good Luck,
HULK! :D

·
Trusted Advisor
85,515 Posts
McAfee and Norton are too intrusive and problematic. :mad: :down:

Download and unzip HijackThis 1.99.0 to a folder that you create for it. Double-click its HijackThis.exe file to start it. Click "Scan" to run a scan, then click "Save Log" to save a copy of the log. Save the log in text format with Notepad, then copy-and-paste its entire contents here. Don't start another separate post.

You can download HijackThis 1.99.0 from the spyware tools section at http://www.majorgeeks.com

·
Registered
188 Posts
Morning michelb,

I would follow flavallee's excellent suggestion first and then in your free time check out the free Anti-virus program at this link: AVG7 (Free) I just give you this link to show you there are 'good' free anti-virus programs around today too.

There are also excellent Free Spyware/Ad-Aware programs available on the web too. Just to name a few (1) Ad-Aware SE , (2) Spybot S&D 1.3 and (3) SpywareBlaster .

The first two find the nasties that have made it on your machine and the third one prevents them from getting there in the first place.

However, I think it is important to follow flavallee's HijackThis tip first. Everything I gave you is just for future reference and to show you there are excellent freeware programs available today.

Good luck!

Regards,

2harts4ever

·
Trusted Advisor
85,515 Posts
Before you run a scan with HijackThis 1.99.0 and post a log here, download and install Ad-aware SE Personal 1.05 and Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3. After they have been installed, run their update function and get them up-to-date with the latest detection files. After they have been updated, run a full system scan with Ad-aware and delete everything that it finds, reboot, do a scan with Spybot and delete everything in red that it finds, then reboot again. Now, you can run a scan with HijackThis and post a log.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK: Problem #1 with McAfee is resolved: You have to disable any Firewall in order to be able to download from McAfee.
If only they would let us know about it on their download page!!!!!
And there is no way you can write them to tell them to do it!!!
Michel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.