Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I clean installed win2k pro about a week ago. I was running 98se. For some reason 2k stops responding on me, all the time. Sometimes it is able to recover, and others i have to hit the power button. Sometimes the computer seems not to stop running, but all progs using internet connection no longer respond. If I have files in transfer on ftp, the speed goes to zero. When this happens, the computer seems like it is still working somewhat, but if I try and shutdown or reboot, nothing happens. I try the 3 finger salute, but that never works either. I'm am thinking that maybe some of my drivers are not working together well, but who knows, I am no expert. I am also new to win 2000. Has anyone seen this happen, or know what is going on. Like I said, this is a new and clean install. Thanks, Barret.

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
5.0.2195 Service Pack 1 Build 2195
System Manufacturer TriGem Computer, Inc.
x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 5 GenuineIntel ~500 Mhz
BIOS Version1.30
256 mb ram

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, It does not look like anyone knows what is going on here. I have had nothing but problems win 2k. Looks like im going back to win98. Then I can run my dual video cards again and be able to print and scan again. That will be nice :rolleyes: Thanks, Barret.

· Super Moderator
46,758 Posts
You did not say what mb you are using. If you are using a via chipset mb, there is a fix for what you just described in service pack 2. You can also download the hot fix and the registry key separately.
Are you using anything other than a printer on LPT1? Lockups can be difficult to find, it may take some time and effort. I think you will be happier with win2k [at least I am]

· Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I have decided to go back to win98. Well, really, I went back last night. I think I might be having some more major problems. Everytime I install my second video card (pci) Windows freezes before startup. I have tried a diff pci slot. Later I am goging to try another card. This card was working fine on win2k and working before on win 98. Thanks, Barret

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.