Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

I have a WD 250GB HD. Model WD200BB-00DEA0. It connected to my system via molex cable and a USB2 to IDE cable. The problem seems to be it disconnects (the WD 250gb) when I transfer large amounts of data, like a full system backup but its okay playing games. I was told that this is a common problem with drives this large and there really isn't much I can do to fix it. Is this true?

What can I do to fix this problem?

MOBO is Epox K8MM3I-X

Os is Win98 on C drive and Winxp/sp2 on D drive.

250GB has three partitons, G with 50G and H and I with 100gb each.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, there are several places that the problem can exist.

Try large transfers with the drive connected to another system. This will isolate the issue to either the drive or the computer.

If it's the drive, it's probably the USB <-> IDE controller, and you will need to consider a replacement. If it's the computer, I'd consider a PCI USB 2.0 card. I had a system here with a Via chipset that would do that with the MB USB ports, the PCI USB 2.0 card worked fine.

·
Banned
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JohnWill said:
Well, there are several places that the problem can exist.

Try large transfers with the drive connected to another system. This will isolate the issue to either the drive or the computer.

If it's the drive, it's probably the USB <-> IDE controller, and you will need to consider a replacement. If it's the computer, I'd consider a PCI USB 2.0 card. I had a system here with a Via chipset that would do that with the MB USB ports, the PCI USB 2.0 card worked fine.
Unfortunately I don't have another system to test it out on. I can get another USB to IDE cable, they're cheap enough, about $20.00 on Ebay but what's a PCI USB 2.0 card? I've never seen one. Can you provide a link?

The usb2 cable is about three years old. I've never used it much though because I have another one I lost.

Thanks again,
HULK:up:

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can simply carry the drive and USB cable to someone other computer. Surely, you have a friend with a computer, right? ;)

·
Banned
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the drive itself is brand new. I just got it for Christmas from Tiger direct.

So you're saying its wrong that 250GB drives automatically have problems with disconnects because of their size?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I'm saying that we don't know if it's the drive or the computer that is the issue. The way to find out is divide and conquer, test the drive in a different environment.

I'm not saying that 250gig or larger drives have inherent issues, I have a stack of three 250 & 300 gig drives here for backups, and they all work flawlessly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.