Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,
Hoping I can get a little information....I have win 2000 installed and have a dynamic IP (ADSL)...to make a really long story short my ISP changed from static to dynamic.....now I have been given something I like to refer to as "connection in a box"...which means that I HAVE to log in to get connected....I HATE this beyond comprehension....I know win 2000 has PPOE and was wondering how I can get connected without going through this tedious procedure of logging in...I have requested from my ISP for a static IP (which would solve ALL my problems) but of course they refused....I've played around to see if I can get this to work WITHOUT the connection manager but I can't seem to figure it out...PLEASE HELP!!...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Any possibility of using a dsl router? That way you could enter the username/password into the router and save it there - no need to enter it again. Some dsl modems also have the option of upgrading the firmware so it's a router too (again, so you could enter the username/password and save it there) so no additional hardware is required.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey angel,
Thanks...It never occured to me to use a DSL router...the only thing that makes me go UUUMMM is that when I was speaking to my ISP he said that with WIN 2000 I could just use the PPOE and it should connect with never prompting me for a username and pw...I'm not sure if he was right or not (some ISP tech's aren't the smartest of people, but that is another story)....I'm going to look into the cost and info on a DSL router.....will get back to you if that might be an option that I might consider....mind you this is for my personal use, my home PC.....I do a little home base work so it might be something to consider...thanks again...will keep you informed...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Sorry I couldn't be of assistance in regards to the ppoe software - I don't use it. I think you'd be pleased with a router instead of direct connection to your pc but maybe someone here is familiar with the software used for ppoe.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay...getting an DSL router doesn't seem like a option.....anymore suggestions?????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.