Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I recently build me a new pc with Amd64 3200+.

I used my HDD from my old pc, a Maxtor Diamondmax 9 plus 120GB, wich still had Winxp Home edition on it.
I only had to activate Windows again cause my system was to different from the original installation and that went fine.

Now I bought 2 Maxtor's of 160 GB and put them in Raid (striping).

I thought to install WinXP on that array and keep the old install on my old drive incase it wouldn't work (it's my first Raid experience). But when I get to the point where I type my Product-key, I get an "Invalid Product-key" message.
Is this because I try to use the same key twice? (likely) Should I just delete my other WinXP partition and hope for the best or is there a workaround?

Thanx in advance, Djoox

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You are going to have to start over. You can not set-up a RAID0 installation with a disc that has data on it already. Back up anything you want to save and start over with both discs at once.

With RAID0 you do not have the same data on both discs. The data is "split" and half goes to one disc and the rest the the other. Therefore niether disc will operate without the other.
The advantage is write speed, since both drives can be writing at the same time. There is no "hardware failure" advantage though. If one disc fails, the whole system is down, it won't boot.

RAID1 is where the discs are duplicates of each other. This is not striping, it is redundancy. This gives you a "real-time" duplicate. This minimizes downtime in the event of a hardware failure.
Some connection types are even "hot-swappable" so there is no downtime at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough but the raid disks ARE empty.
WinXP is allready on my 120 GB HDD and I want to install another copy of WinXp on my Raid array wich consist of 2 empty 160 GB disks.

I think the problem is that when I try to install a new copy of WinXp on the raid array it notices that there is allready one with the same product-key on my 120 Gb HDD.

The easy way out would be offcourse to just remove my 120 GB HDD (why did'n I think of that earlier :/)

·
Super Moderator
46,546 Posts
I cannot think of an instance where you could not have two installs of the same os on the machine. It is done often to recover files, etc.

·
Super Moderator
46,546 Posts
You can not set-up a RAID0 installation with a disc that has data on it already
This is incorrect. When you create the array it will wipe the mft for the drive. In essence creating the array is the same as running fdisk on a win9x / dos system. There will be no data on the drive after the array is created; or at least no references in the mft as to where the data is located.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
crjdriver,
I guess I didn't elaborate very well. I meant that he couldn't expect to "use" it with the data remaining intact.
The installation would essentially format the disc and start fresh.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by angelgabbby:
You shouldn't have a problem. I've ran 2 several times w/the same key.
hmmm... strange I have installed WinXP several times with this product-key and never had any probs. It boggles my why it won't work this time since you eliminated the only reason I could think of why it shouldn't.

But thanks all, I'll let you know what I've been doing wrong when I find it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by steve65:
Back to the original question........

You probably entered the key incorrectly. Look for 0's and O's and B's and 8's as these can be easily mixed up.

Steve
Yes the 8's have been a problem in previous installs but I've written it down since, and I have tried every possibility this time I think but I will keep on trying I guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its been known to happen if anti-virus software is running.

Is it possible that would be the case even if the BIOS was loading AV software? Since he isn't in Windows, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.