Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new to this so here it goes.
Basic info:
I have 2 Win98se and 1 XP home machine, one switch where the 2 98's are connected, a linksys router that XP is connected to. The switch is uplinked to the router. My 2 98 machines can see each other no problem, but don't see the XP. XP sees the 98s but won't give me permission to access. After doing some homework I discovered that if you enable the ipx protocol & in advanced settings you set it to 802.3 frame rate on all machines you should get connectivity. All folders have share enabled with full access. My 2 98's now have access to the XP & share fine, but my XP still won't let me access the 2 98s. I see them on network neighbourhood, but when I click on them XP says that I don't have permission. I am administrator on all 3 machines.
Any suggestions???

Thanx
Taggman

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Administrator on a W98 machine? How do you do that? :D

If all the machines are in the same workgroup, and the two W98 machines have file sharing enabled, I'm somewhat at a loss as to why the XP machine can't share files. FWIW, I use NETBEUI to help network browsing, sometimes workgroup browsing with TCP/IP doesn't always work, for reasons that nobody I know can fully explain. :)

· Registered
19 Posts
You definetly need NETBEUI, but good luck. It can sometimes be a pain to install, depending on your system config. This solved the XP issues on my LAN. Look for a NETBUEI patch on the Microsoft site, and ignore their warning about how it might not work.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Actually, NETBEUI is on the XP CD, buried in the ValueAdd directory.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I have to hand it to you guys.
The netbeui worked like a charm. It's alittle slow but it works fine for what I need.

Thanx alot.

Taggman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.