Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, I'm a newbie, but have spent some time searching thru prievous posts and upon other forums without finding an answer, so I apologise in advance if this is simpleton stuff.

I've moved into a mates house, who has moved to australia but left me his PC.

His setup is as follows: a 1ghz athlon running winxp home edition and is connected via a vigor2200usb router to a usb external alcatel speedtouch 330 modem, housed in a separate room to his PC. He used to run his PC and multiple xbox's from the router with no problems via his ISP PIPEX adsl account which.. I'm supposed to take over.

I've brought into the mix my own PC : P4 1.5 ghz running WINME which used to connect fine and run smoothly via a dialup 56k modem and ISP freeserve. I notified them I was moving but upon getting here was unable to access the internet from that PC, even if I removed the broadband connections (microfilters) from the house. (v90 modem now removed along with dial up settings)

I began to get "poproxy.exe has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL" messages on bootup which i've traced to my about to expire copy of Norton AV, which is now removed.

In addtition I started to get weird error messages on startup to do with "program X causing an error in KERNEL32.DLL" which I gather can be for "reason X". (I'm looking into one being a possible virus) I've elimnated those errors now,via msconfig running only a bare minimum of starting tasks.

My Problem: ( apart from a lack of being concise)

Ive established a LAN connection for file and print serving between the two PC's but am unable to share the internet connection on the WINME PC. All I get is an error reporting notification to send to microsoft. I thought for other reasons that IE was at blame and reinstalled WINME. THAT LED TO "Iexplore has caused an error in KERNELL32.DLL" which I looked upto be a fault of IE 5.5 so I found IE 6.0 which solved that, along with "Ssdpsrv causing the same" fixed by MSCONFIG ( I gather that one is a WINME problem cause by the network setup wizard)

My attempts to share the net connection have at times killed off his own adsl connection aswell, leaving me without a net connection at all, though I can test the adsl is working as I can run an Xbox via xbox live without fault.

Ive followed various advice elsewhere and from posts here and can ping the Win ME PC, external addresses, the gateway and DNS servers with success from the WINXP PC. I have run ipconfig.exe and winipgfg.exe from both ( though I currently cannot run IPCONFIG.EXE from the WINME machine today) and have established they have the same gateways, ip address protocols and subnet masks, and are both set to share the internet connection ( I used to be able ping whatever from whichever).

I have access to his driver disks for the modem and router and have tried installing them but that doesnt help either, and unfortunatley IN ADDITITION he has reinstalled windows and carried on using his internet without the need of reinstalling his router or modem software because ( I presume ) the router still knows where to connect to.

Should i reinstall his drivers for these? in order to access their settings?

Ive tried various attempts at running the "network wizards" etc and doing things manually, rather than autodetected LAN settings ETC.

Do I need any addititional hardware?: theres one NIC in each PC, his modem is hooked to his router not his PC, and all is joined by straight RJ cables. Ive seen reference to the need for two NIC's in the host if using ICS but most sites suggest a router will get around that and negate the need to re- hook the usb modem to the host PC and run a second NIC direct to the client PC or router.!!

I'm lost, and heading for the bottle's solace!

any advice as to where to restart, to diagnose this mess would be well appreciated from anyone who's still awake or not committed hari-kari after this post!

Apologies for the garbled post but after two weeks of this my brain is frying nicely

cheers

chasers:confused: :(:rolleyes:

· Registered
455 Posts
Ok, that was a pretty long post so let's try to start simply. Need to confirm how your network is set up:

You have the Alcatel modem which is connected via ADSL to the ISP. The router is connected via USB to the modem. Your friend's PC is connected to the router via an Ethernet connection. Your PC is connected to the router via an Ethernet connection.

Correct so far?

Your friend's PC which runs Windows XP can successfully connect to the Internet. Your PC which runs Windows ME cannot connect to the Internet - although both systems can share files and printers.

Still ok?

If so, it would really help if we could see the results of ipconfig - although you say that this won't work on the WinME system right now. Try rebooting the WinME system and immediately enter the following command:

ipconfig /all > c:\results.txt

This will (hopefully) create a results.txt file on the root directory of your C-Drive. Use Notepad to cut and paste the results here.

Do the same with the WinXP system.

Just to check, have you tried rebooting everything? If not, here is the sequence:

Turn off the modem, router, and PCs. Wait a couple of minutes and turn on the modem. Wait a couple of minutes and turn on the router. Wait a couple of minutes and turn on the PCs. Can they both now connect?

Wow, must be contagious. My post was almost as long as yours!

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to do the ipconfig tests but found to my dismay that the winxp wont run ipconfig now either when i was sure it could the day before.

I just tried the powering down and rebooting it all but now get an IP aaddress conflict message on both pc's for address 192.168.1.10 which now appears to be the ip address for both machines.

with both pc's on there is now no LAN sharing available and no internet on the winxp pc. I can get on here if i leave the win me machine off.

heres the previous settings for the winxp pc:

info from details tab :
Physical Address: 00-40-F4-65-72-B8
IP Address: 192.168.1.11
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained: 20/03/2004 11:12:51
Lease Expires: 23/03/2004 11:12:51
DNS Servers: 62.241.160.200, 158.43.240.3
WINS Server:

and now :

Physical Address: A2-0F-71-6A-87-89
IP Address: 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained: 28/03/2004 14:39:17
Lease Expires: 31/03/2004 14:39:17
DNS Servers: 62.241.160.200, 158.43.240.3
WINS Server:

any ideas appreciated?
cheers chasers

· Registered
455 Posts
From your latest comments, it appears to me that the IP address on your WinME is "stuck" and needs to be reset. Unfortunately, the typical method of "unsticking" the IP address is with ipconfig.

What happens when you enter ipconfig (without anything else) on the WinME system? (Try disconnecting the WinXP system before entering the command.)

Also, just to confirm, you are opening a command window (DOS prompt) before entering the command and not just entering it into the Run window?

· Registered
455 Posts
Bob's suggestion is good, but it still bothers me that ipconfig doesn't work on your WinME system.

If you give Bob's suggestion a shot, and you still can't connect to the Internet, then you may have a corrupt TCP/IP stack.

If you have used Lavasoft's Ad-Aware in the past, check out this URL:

http://pub26.ezboard.com/fbadbluediscussfrm9.showMessage?topicID=181.topic

If you have not used Ad-Aware, you still may have a corrupt TCP/IP stack problem. For that, check out this URL:

http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html

Good luck :)

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the posts,

Ive found that I can now leave the winme pc still on and still use the other to reach the net, but still get the ip conflict on startup.

I have indeed been stupidly trying to run ipconfig from the run command when the other days i must have done it from the command prompt. the results for both pc's are provided.

i do use adaware but given the above, I have just followed your link and have the file to hand, incase it's still needed.

current situation is no LAN between the two, ip conflicts on startup but access to the net despite both being on at once.

heres the results.txt:

winxp pc:

Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : v9a7j7 Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : NoEthernet adapter Network Bridge (Network Bridge) 3: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A2-0F-71-6A-87-89 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.241.160.200 158.43.240.3 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 28 March 2004 15:17:45 Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 31 March 2004 15:17:45

winme pc:

Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . : V9a7j7 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . : IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : Yes0 Ethernet adapter : Description . . . . . . . . : F5D5000, PCI Card/Desktop Network PCI Card Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-30-BD-6D-5D-B6 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . : Primary WINS Server . . . . : Secondary WINS Server . . . : Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 1 Ethernet adapter : Description . . . . . . . . : Microsoft TV/Video Connection Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 2.0.0.0 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255 Default Gateway . . . . . . : Primary WINS Server . . . . :

hope that helps and apologies for the screw up :rolleyes:

cheers
chaser

· Registered
455 Posts
Ok, it appears that the WinME system has gone from having a "stuck" IP address at 192.168.0.10 to not having an IP address at all.

On the WinME system, try the following from a command window (while the WinME system is connected to the router):

ipconfig /release_all

ipconfig /renew_all

Then see if you can connect. If so, great. If not, then post the results of ipconfig /all for the WinME system here.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
still cant connect after that unfortunately
heres the new results.txt:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : V9a7j7

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No

NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : Yes

0 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : F5D5000, PCI Card/Desktop Network PCI Card

Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-30-BD-6D-5D-B6

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . :

Primary WINS Server . . . . :

Secondary WINS Server . . . :

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . :

Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

1 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : Microsoft TV/Video Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 2.0.0.0

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

cheers 4 sticking with me
chaser

· Registered
455 Posts
Ok, here is one of your problems. You don't have DHCP enabled on the WinME system.

To enable, do the following:

1) Open the Control Panel.

2) Open the Network folder.

3) Highlight the TCP/IP item that is associated with your Ethernet card (should list something like: TCP/IP --> PCI Card/Desktop Network PCI Card - or something that mentions Ethernet Adapter).

4) Click on Properties.

5) Click on the IP Address tab.

6) Make sure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" is selected.

7) Click on the DNS Configuration tab.

8) Make sure that "Disable DNS" is selected.

9) Click on the Gateway tab.

10) Make sure that there are no entries (delete any that are there)

11) Close the panels and reboot.

12) Cross your fingers, and try to connect.

If successful, great!

If unsuccessful, post the results of our friend ipconfig /all > c:\results.txt here.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thankyou, just tried that and it has resetablished LAN, and file sharing etc which is great but still I cant connect via the winme pc so unfortunately heres our friend again. thanks you again for achieving that

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : ZOMBIE

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 62.241.160.200

Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No

NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

0 Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : F5D5000, PCI Card/Desktop Network PCI Card

Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-30-BD-6D-5D-B6

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.11

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 03 28 04 22:51:56

Lease Expires . . . . . . . : 03 31 04 22:51:56

1 Ethernet adapter :

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

cheers
chaser:up:

· Registered
455 Posts
Ok, the good news is that the ipconfig info looks great now.

First, can you ping anyone? To ping open a command window, and type the following:

ping 192.168.1.1

ping 62.241.160.200

ping www.yahoo.com

ping 66.94.230.43

Can the XP system ping the Win ME system?

Open up a command window on XP and type: ping 192.168.1.11

You should either get a Reply from.... or a timeout on the pings above. Post the results here.

Also, you should probably install the latest firmware for your router. Here is the URL for the Vigor 2200 firmware:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/

You might want to reboot everything again since you've made so many changes. See the method that I recommended previously.

Finally, check out the URL that I recommended previously at:

http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html

If your problem seems to match, go ahead and try the fix.

· Registered
1,625 Posts
You appear to have a second Etherent adaptor in the WinME sys:

1 Ethernet adapter :

which has a very sad looking Physical Address and a just as sad IP Address!

This second adaptor could be causing your PC to get confused.

What about you disable that adaptor (just disable not delete) and see if you get any noticeable change (hopefully improvement). Unless of course you are using the adaptor for something?

I don't have WinME box to hand but I would expect that wherever you can find the LAN connections under Control Panel / Network connections you'll find an icon for this connection; do properties on it and you should be offered a disable/enable option. This might be a bit off the wall, but anything's worth a shot! ;)

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tried the pings =

ping 192.168.1.1 = REPLYS

ping 62.241.160.200 = REPLYS

ping www.yahoo.com = Ping has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL ping will now close.

ping 66.94.230.43 = REPLYS

Can the XP system ping the Win ME

system? = YES

Open up a command window on XP and

type: ping 192.168.1.11 = REPLYS

I'm not sure the url link applies, but i'll check that further

With regards the router firmware, i
dont currently have the router tools/
software installed on the winme pc,

previous attempts would not let me

access it once installed. I just got

"X has caused a kernel32dll error"
Do you think i should install that
now?
I reinstalled it on the xp pc and
can now access the router via the
address bar & gateway ip 192.168.1.1

i'll try the reboot aswell.

with regards the 2nd ethernet adapter (cheers for the advice),

I was wondering about that myself as

ive no idea where it came from and

certainly am unaware of needing it so

i'll the try disabling idea too.

thanks again
chaser

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
with regards disabling the 2nd adapter: i dont have any options for it under proerties except two tabs, 1 for drivers type & 2 bindings, all options are greyed out in driver type and bindings just has a check box ticked for TCP/IP MICROSFT TV/VIDEO CONNECTION.

should i be looking elsewhere as i can only locate a remove option under properties?
cheers

· Registered
455 Posts
I don't think it's a firmware problem since you're getting the KERNEL32.DLL errors. However, updating the firmware might help if there are multiple problems.

KERNEL32.DLL errors can be caused by a number of things. See Microsoft's explanation at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/windows/topics/errormsg/kbkern.asp

Microsoft recommends doing a clean boot to try to isolate the problem. Here are the instructions for that:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;267288

Sorry this is such a painful process! :(

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dont worry about the painful process, my entire time with pc's is painful so thats fine.

i tried the clean boot but a startup group tick, under the general tab keeps appearing greyed out, initially MS office was re ticking itself in startup so I uninstall it to remove that but I'm still unable to clean boot.

The two error messages on startup are already masked by a selective startup anyway. they are caused by Ssdpsrv which was put in by the winxp network setup disc I ran. thats when that entry appeared along with the startup error message, and the other I working through the startup itmes to find.

im now being plagued by redundant user profile logon password prompts for profiles that dont exist, from my wifes meddling so i losing the will at the moment.

I think i'll format and reinsall winme in order to start from a cleaner slate, as this things gone south but left it's issues behind for others to pick up .

cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.