Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola Guys ! K got 2 hdds + like to shutdown older secondary drive what exactly does this entail ? When i`ve gotten virus`s they`ve infected both drives which was a pain. Like to have secondary drive dormant so at least i can have it as a back up to rely on . By the way have 98se copied on secondary drive for this purpose as a backup. Am i asking 2 much here? Thx people appreciate any tips ! Dean :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I suppose you might be able to do this in bios settings?

I am having my own problems with bios lol so I cant tell you how :rolleyes:

But I would think it could be done there??

Hope someone else can give you more details. you could always open the ststem up and pull the power on the drive. a bit drastic and Im sure its not what you want....

Sorry I cant be any more help..

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
I think the easiest and maybe the only way is to open the case and disconnect it. The bios is going to pick it up if it is connected and I have never seen a setting in any bios to disable a hard drive.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Put the second drive in a $25 external USB 2.0 case. You can turn it on when you want to access it, and shut it down the rest of the time. My USB/Firewire drives spend 99% of their life turned off, I just fire them up for backups.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You could just set that ide channel to none in the bios if it allows it, or to a user defined h/d that doesnt match your one.

Just tried on mine, worked ok

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.