Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, it's been a while!
The power supply on my machine died recently and instead of replacing it I want to put the hard drive from it into another machine as the slave. The new machine's HD is running Win XPsp2. My current HD has Win98se on a small partition and the rest of my data on a larger one. I'm trying to figure out what's the best way to integrate the 2 into one machine the most efficient way.
My first question is, is this possible and/or is another direction I should be headed instead? If I install it this way, can I then repartion the Win98 partition and use it for more storage?
About the only other piece of hardware I want to move is my DSL modem.

Please let me know what other info you need from me ane any thoughts or suggestions..?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can I install the hard drive with Win98 on it on the computer with XP on it, them transfer the data? MAybe I'm not understanding your suggestion, I apologize.

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Exactly. Install the drive with Win98 in the XP computer.

Not much information is given regarding the new computer and what type of drives it has. For starters, your new computer would need to have the room and connections for it. Set it as a slave to as not to conflict with the current drive.

If the new computer does not have the room, another possible solution would be to put the Win98 drive in a USB case.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great!
Yes, the XP computer has room and the connections for the 98 HD. That answers my question! Again, Thanks!!

I'll be doing this with-in the next couple of days. I'll be back more questions I'm sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.