Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to reformat my Toshiba R100 laptop (reasons why are too complicated to explain:(:confused:). I have bought the correct Toshiba brand DVD-CD-RW external drive, and now discover that the computer has to have a 16 bit PC adapter. It has pre-installed a 32-bit PCMCIA. The instruction manual said that a 16 bit adapter is needed in order to make the external drive bootable.

I set about trying to find one to buy and install, and felt out of my depth pretty quickly!

Questions:
1. Given that I have a 32 bit adapter pre-installed, will it work to also have a 16 bit one, or will that make even more problems?
2. Any tips as to where to get one, or better still, the precise specs? I wasn't sure, looking at the ones I found on the internet. THey seemed to mostly relate to wireless applications, which isn't relevant for my purpose.

Would be so grateful for some help,

Whitestarlion

·
Super Moderator
16,205 Posts
Please post the relevant text from the manual and also which item the manual is for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the quick response!
I meanwhile decided to lay the issue at Toshiba's door, as (dammit!) I bought the Toshiba (very expensive!) DVD-CD drive at their recommendation, specifically to do the re-format. I'll list here what happened, as this might be useful for someone else .... JUST FOUND OUT THE FOLLOWING >>>>
My machine = Toshiba Portege R100. 40gigabyte;256mem;USB
Small, slim, computer so needing external 'everythings'.
Toshiba's latest DVD-CD Rom drive boots off the USB, but in the old days of the Portege (less than 3 years ago!!) external bootable drives worked indeed worked off of a 16 bit PC Card. (Which my machine doesn't have, and which even if I could get one, it would not be compatible with the current model of Toshiba DVD-CD Rom drive, still wouldn't work, I was told !!!!)
So .... Toshiba will 'escalate to 3rd level tech intervention'. The fellow I spoke to was very helpful and said he would ask them to supply a new product recovery disk which would work with the new DVD-CD ROm drive.
Ever hopeful that my computer woes will soon be over .....!
and thanks again,
From appreciative first time user .....Whitestarlion
PS I hope I've reported the issue correctly (!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.