Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can receive my emails but cannot send any emails. I can only send emails via my webmail which is a drag as it will not let me add attachments. I get the error reports code (0x800CCC69) or similar. I am using AVG virus scanning software.

· Registered
364 Posts
Hello
Has it ever worked? What version of Outlook are you using?
The error code you indicated usually suggested a bad recievers address, does it happen with every mail you try to send?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It used to work fine but has not worked for a while now. I have been onto my ISP provider and reset ingoing and out going settings. Also outlook express does not work. I am using outlook 2002 SP3 but when I look at the actual system info it say Service pack 2 build 2600

· Registered
364 Posts
In Outlook, go to tools/accounts/view or change existing. Once in your account properties, see if "Log on using secure password authentication" is checked. If not, you may need to check it. Your ISP can tell you if you do need SPA. Also, go into more settings, and the outgoing server tab. Check the box marked "My outgoing server requires authenification"
That may help.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke to my ISP who do not support outlook and so set up outlook express account which they do support and still have the same problem! ANy ideas? Turning off virus scans does nothing and scanning for malware/viruses/trojan horses and CIA agents reveals nothing!

· Registered
364 Posts
Well, the first error message you showed indicated a bad recieving address. Do you get other error messages? Have you tried emailing more than one domain?
Could there be an issue with a firewall?

· Registered
3,061 Posts
0x800CCC69 error is SMTP 550 - Mailbox Not Found.

Check spelling on your "reply-to" address - this differs sometimes from the username that is listed on the account.

· Registered
3,061 Posts
Since you are using the AVG scanner, try disabling the email scanning feature of it. If you can send mail when AVG mail scanning is disabled, then that is where your problem is.

· Super Moderator
80,177 Posts
coruh82 said:
It used to work fine but has not worked for a while now. I have been onto my ISP provider and reset ingoing and out going settings. Also outlook express does not work. I am using outlook 2002 SP3 but when I look at the actual system info it say Service pack 2 build 2600
well, if it says that, there is a very good chance that you simply downloaded sp3 but didn't install it. Very first thing I would do is go to the ms updates site (from IE: tools > windows update) and see if any critical updates are needed on your machine. Then go to the office site and do the same.

that is where I would start. Once you get all that stuff done, we can know where we are standing and can begin to seriously troubleshoot the machine.

v

· Registered
3,061 Posts
The Office XP (2002) SP and Windows XP SP's are different. Office XP may be SP3, but WinXP will still be SP2.

· Super Moderator
80,177 Posts
gurutech said:
The Office XP (2002) SP and Windows XP SP's are different. Office XP may be SP3, but WinXP will still be SP2.
true.....do we know he's running xp? I've only scanned, but I don't see an os spec named.

· Banned
24,754 Posts
If neither Outlook nor Outlook Express work, that points to a configuration problem either on your end (entering incorrect information) or on your ISP's end (account not configured properly).

Neither an Office service pack or a Windows service pack will help resolve this.

Call your ISP and tell them you want this resolved. Through that troubleshooting process you'll discover if you're entering something incorrectly or if they don't have your account configured properly.

· Registered
3,061 Posts
Going off DoubleHelix's suggestion - have your ISP fix the issue with Outlook Express, and after you get off the phone with them, transfer your settings to Outlook.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tried resetting everything with my ISP re-set passwords and retyped incoming and out going servers (pop3 and SMPT) and still no joy - still can't send emails by outlook, outlook express and also tried Thunderbird mail program with no joy.

The ISP help guy said that since I was piggy backing on someone else's Wifi connection, the problem is here - this never used to be the case - I get the feeling that he is ********ting me.

I take it the server ports 110 incoming and 25 outgoing are the standard default ones - there seems nothing else at my end to reset! When we get to the bottom of this it will no doubt be so simple we missed it!

Thanks you guys in anticipation

· Banned
24,754 Posts
If you are using someone else's wireless connection, then of course it won't work. You're no longer using your ISP's connection. The connection you're on likely doesn't allow people to send and receive from other ISP servers.

· Registered
3,061 Posts
You can test to see if you are actually piggybacking on someone else's internet connection - go to www.whatismyip.com and get your "WAN" IP. Then go to a CMD prompt and type "ping -a (the IP you got from the website)" - it will resolve to a bunch of numbers, followed by the name of the ISP, such as Verizon, Comcast, Cablevision, etc... If your ISP is different than the one you see listed, then you are piggybacking. If it's the same, then the tech is BS'ing you.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All well many thanks for all your help. :)

What was causing the problem - I have no idea but turning the power off on the router (a RCB Tripped in the house's fuse board) and restarting seemed to solve the problem but this may be totally incidental.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.