Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I've saved up a bit of money and I've got £750 to spend... was thinking on basing the system on the E6600 and the Asus p5w-dh mobo. Any suggestions?

I will be using it for reasonably taxing gaming (but don't mind not running on max) and am looking for longevity...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry yeah, I have an ide 250gb drive, keyboard, logitech 5.1 speekers, 19 inch tft samsung moniter, logitech mouse, win xp... don't think anything else is transferable...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
tomabounader said:
if i stetch a little further do you reckon the Abit AW8D Intel 975X would be worth the extra $50?
Asus has been my fav for a very long time.
Been using Abit here as of late for top performing computers.
Its just a great board.
No taking away from Asus but Abit is my fav right now. performance/price abit delivers a little more right now.

Well, it has
8G ram limit where the other has 2G (2G is plenty really)
It also allows for the Quad-core/Core 2 Extreme (if you think you may want to upgrade to an extreme or quad then yes)

That's the only real difference.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
550W would be fine but that PS I listed is very good and gives you room for insurance.
With that monster of a video card I always like to go 600W with it and that will insure you have room to run multiple drive/cards ext... you may want to add.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Just to check I did some sample pricing on three of the major items you are looking at.
----------------- Ebuyer Microdirect
Abit Ab9 Pro mobo £94.99 £82.70
BFG 8800Gtx 768mb £417.07 £390.50
Intel E6600 Conroe £198.91 £170.99

There is a saving of £66.78 on just these three items, that will pay for your PSU!!!
As I said Ebuyer are more expensive

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i like the look of the Abit Ab9 Pro, (I don't really think I'm going to have enough for xfire or sli anyway!), but I am a little dubious of the positioning of the floppy/ide header... it appears to be directly under the base pci slot. Do you think this will cause a problem when conecting my pata drive?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Super Moderator
46,546 Posts
tomabounader said:
if i stetch a little further do you reckon the Abit AW8D Intel 975X would be worth the extra $50?
Not if you plan on using a C2D; this board does not support the new core2s. You want the aw9 series if you plan on using a C2D.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah good point.

really not too keen on the aw9's layout. think i'm going to go with the foxconn or a MSI 965 neo (bland but it does what i need)
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=744

I also think the 8800 is going to be out of my price range at the moment. what do you reckon on settling for a GeForce 7600 GS or GT? means I can save up for a 8800 or other DX10 at a later point...?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bigbear said:
Just to check I did some sample pricing on three of the major items you are looking at.
----------------- Ebuyer Microdirect
Abit Ab9 Pro mobo £94.99 £82.70
BFG 8800Gtx 768mb £417.07 £390.50
Intel E6600 Conroe £198.91 £170.99

-----------------------------------------------------

-->
Big bear the the Microdirect quotes here are without vat... the 6600 is £201
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=14434&GroupID=1674

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.